Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Moore you know.

Members don't see this ad.

Another day and a half of studying Moore genetics, and 2.5 studying Moore anatomy...joyous.

I can't take any Moore of these puns...

Members don't see this ad :)
what is this devo crap in genetics. What the hell is a Moore-ula.

what is this devo crap in genetics. What the hell is a Moore-ula.

Yeah, I have been having a real hard time learning anything about genetics. I am very nervous about the exam too.

... wait, that is because I am using an embryology book to study for a genetics class. If only I would have realized this sooner!

Congrats everyone! We survived the first exams! Well, except the cadavers, but they weren't expected to make it anyway...

One down, ~15 to go. Count it!

Oh, hell yeah! And this post is a perfect square! And Leinenkugel is on sale at Pick 'n Save!

BEST DAY EVER!

Last edited:
Today is a totally rockin' awesome day because THIS came out:

beatles-rock-band-xbox-sm.jpg

I already played all the songs on guitar, now I'll start singing and playing guitar. Even though I always wanted to be Ringo when I was little I'm so not coordinated enough for drums.

Yay for a very well scheduled day off.

How much?!

I wanna say that most flavors were $10.89 for twelve bottles. I think.

And being Ringo is going to rock. But make sure you take breaks now and then. The first time I played Guitar Hero, I played drums for like two straight hours (hey, if professionals can do it, how hard can it be?) and when I woke up the next morning I could barely move my arms.

(though I did not have any lateral epicondylitis or loss of dorsal hand sensation, so I'm pretty sure my radial nerve was fine):)

I wanna say that most flavors were $10.89 for twelve bottles. I think.

And being Ringo is going to rock. But make sure you take breaks now and then. The first time I played Guitar Hero, I played drums for like two straight hours (hey, if professionals can do it, how hard can it be?) and when I woke up the next morning I could barely move my arms.

(though I did not have any lateral epicondylitis or loss of dorsal hand sensation, so I'm pretty sure my radial nerve was fine):)

I know how to stagger myself with guitar and guitar like video games. I own GH3, GH world tour and now Beatles rockband. After my surgery rotation was done, I treated myself to GH3 and played for 8 hours straight. In college I'd practice real guitar for a couple hours til my finger tips hurt too much. Too bad I've forgotten how to play real guitar. I need a trumpet hero video game. Then I could totally rock.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, it's a serious and awesome idea for a video game. No one cares about we trumpeters (ok, so I play cornet, but most people think it's a clarinet when I say the name).

I think you missed your calling, Ashers. Just yesterday my roommate and I were watching Family Guy, and the commmercial for DeVry's video game design Associate degree program came on (classes fit into YOUR busy schedule!). Now I'm wondering why there aren't more combined MD/AVGD programs. Sure, there's not much application for it, but the same can be said of an MD/JD.

Who is itching for pathways tomorrow??

(I actually like the idea, however, the general disdain is quite entertaining)

They're like "concentrations" at other schools. Instead of getting involved on our own they force us to do it as part of the curriculum. There is:

Master Clinician
Clinician Educator
Urban and Community Health
Global Health
Physician Scientist

Once we get done with this semester we have "protected time" to work on stuff for our "pathway." The expectation is 10 hours per month.

They're like "concentrations" at other schools. Instead of getting involved on our own they force us to do it as part of the curriculum. There is:

Master Clinician
Clinician Educator
Global Health
Physician Scientist

Once we get done with this semester we have "protected time" to work on stuff for our "pathway." The expectation is 10 hours per month.

Wow...absolutely none of those pathways sounds like anything I would want to do. Thank goodness I steered clear of that stuff.

Master Clinician
Clinician Educator
Global Health
Physician Scientist

I'm going to keep insisting that I'm doing a pathway that's just a meaningless permutation of the others, such as 'Clinician Scientist', 'Global, Urban, and Community Educator', or, my personal favorite, 'Master Health'.

Although, in seriousness, I thought today's pathway stuff was categorically better than last Friday. After today I felt like this actually might work, whereas before I was pretty sure it was going to sputter out in February and we'd all be back to bonus physiology lectures or something to fill the time.

At least today went much more smoothly.

[flexion of supinated antebrachium]What if I want to do more than one pathway? I want to do a highly competitive residency at California, what if these pathways results in the lecturers teaching us less things that we need to know for STEP 1? [Comment]Do you really want more genetics/biochem/devo/anatomy lectures?[/Comment] [/flexion of supinated antebrachium]

Now, repeat with similar questions, for ~ 45 minutes. That's what last Friday was like. I felt badly for those professors up front who were trying to provide meaningful answers.

I kinda feel like I'm back in M3 year again.

That's sort of how I feel in the ICU right now. Except I have a long white coat and I enter the orders the attending tells me to, rather than having someone in charge of me doing it. 2 more months...then back to the ER. Whew.

Although, in seriousness, I thought today's pathway stuff was categorically better than last Friday. After today I felt like this actually might work, whereas before I was pretty sure it was going to sputter out in February and we'd all be back to bonus physiology lectures or something to fill the time.

I agree. It should have been the first intro to pathways, and get rid of all the previous presentations. The whole "what if I just want to be a regular doctor" issue was addressed when he showed how you can pursue your interests and help impact policy and stuff.

You know what biochem is like? When I was a kid, my dad's company had this Christmas party for the families, and we'd go. Biochem is like that:

Good: "These are the people that I work with."

Bad: "My name is Paul Salzman, I work in sales."

Worse: "Hey buddy, I'm Ernie Alport, and I work in accounts receivable. Oh man, my job is pretty crazy. See, I use this binder in it that has clients' names, and then I check that list for payments. Oh, and I can change the list. On a computer! Here's a drawing of the org. chart - it shows how I fit in with everyone else. And here's another drawing of that. And here's a third drawing, but it has some stuff on it that you don't need to know..."

I don't need to know any of it; I'm tired of learning names for things that are not immediately useful to me.

I don't need to know any of it; I'm tired of learning names for things that are not immediately useful to me.

Hate to break it to you, but I'm using some in depth knowledge of biochemistry near every day in the ED.

Hold on there, buddy. It gets worse before it gets better, but you get pretty used to it. Biochem was a miserable class though, and I don't envy you guys at all on that. Most people thought phys and neuro were much more interesting.

Am I the only one in the universe who likes biochem?

Am I the only one in the universe who likes biochem?

Don't worry about it, your affinity for biochem is probably just some benign pathology or something. No big deal, it won't last more than another 3.5 months (Christmas break).

Don't worry about it, your affinity for biochem is probably just some benign pathology or something. No big deal, it won't last more than another 3.5 months (Christmas break).

You mean I won't go off the deep end and become an endocrinologist or something?

And here I was thinking of some kind of surgery. I hope people don't think I'm as dumb as I feel.

So.. if Bradstein's affinity for biochem is high, that must mean that his Km is low, and that the K(anatomy) and K(devo) numbers are not sufficiently low so as to detract his attention via competitive inhibition. Right?

Oh, or maybe the concentration of biochem is just super high and we're all saturated with it. Actually, that's definitely the case.

Actually, I'm doing devo right now and waiting to work on anatomy until Dr. Chun's presentation is up on ANGEL (they ran out of handouts).

Bradstein, are you the "weapon guy"? Why not consider EM, you'd see lots of gun and stab wounds, especially at chicago or hopkins

Bradstein, are you the "weapon guy"? Why not consider EM, you'd see lots of gun and stab wounds, especially at chicago or hopkins

Yeah, and I was definitely thinking EM before I got to MCW. Then I looked into radiology and saw lots of ortho work on plain film. Now I want to see ortho.

I'm confused as to what this H, HP, P grading means. How much do residencies look at our 1st year grades and does it matter if I get a high pass as opposed to honors?

I'm confused as to what this H, HP, P grading means. How much do residencies look at our 1st year grades and does it matter if I get a high pass as opposed to honors?

It's my understanding that it generally doesn't matter a hell of a lot, google 'Charting Outcomes in the Match' for more info about what residencies are looking for. Generally things like Step One score and 3rd year grades are considered most important. Of course, if you're interested in a super-competitive specialty, it probably helps to have any edge you can get, and nobody wants to have 'fails' on their transcript, but other than that you should just do your best and let the pieces fall where they may.

Of course, the 'olders' probably have a better perspective on this sort of thing...

I with MCW would switch to Harry Potter OWL grading, personally. It's pretty much the same system.

I with MCW would switch to Harry Potter OWL grading, personally. It's pretty much the same system.

Maybe we could just get them to change the grading system, with the approval of Prince, to some type of sequential symbol scale. I suppose a number of thumbs up, or smiley faces would be equally valuable... For example:

A - Honor :D :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
B - High Pass :) :thumbup::thumbup:
C - Pass ;) :thumbup:

D - Low Pass - :confused: - :xf:
F - Fail - :sleep: - :thumbdown:

(I nearly got very carried away equating smileys to grades, the possibilities are endless... Low Pass = :laugh:)

I heard it doesn't matter, but don't fail, and get at least 1 high pass/honors.

Most people have mostly high passes. I know a few people who honored virtually everything. Those people also tend to smoke the boards.

In general, your M1/M2 grades aren't really very important. What matters is how well you know the material, because it'll all show up again on Step 1, which matters a LOT.

Honors in your M3 and early M4 rotations are the most important grades. If you want to do a certain specialty, you should honor that rotation.

D - Low Pass - :confused: - :xf:
F - Fail - :sleep: - :thumbdown:

(I nearly got very carried away equating smileys to grades, the possibilities are endless... Low Pass = :laugh:)

Lol. This reminds me of the episode of Arrested Development where Lindsay said that Maeby's semi-accredited new-age school (Sunshine Academy) gave her a 'pirate' in science:

173875220_438ffbdf99.jpg

Lol. This reminds me of the episode of Arrested Development where Lindsay said that Maeby's semi-accredited new-age school (Sunshine Academy) gave her a 'pirate' in science:

Makes more sense than ours. :smuggrin: