Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like Elvis to me, too.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that was an Elvis in science.

Oop. You're right; it does look more like an Elvis. And Lindsay's quote was actually 'a crocodile in spelling'. I had to look it up. The internet is a wonderful place:

'Arrested Development, Pier Pressure'

Now, off to look up the answers to real things. I wonder if the Pentose Phosphate pathway is on Hulu too? I'm pretty sure Fox tried to cancel that...

Block 2 exams - are they really the hardest, or do we just finally figure out how to be more efficient?

Anyway, it's been a while class of '13 - where is everyone?

(excessive "-" use by me probably points to lazy composition. I would live off of -'s if I could)

Members don't see this ad :)
Block 2 exams - are they really the hardest, or do we just finally figure out how to be more efficient?

Anyway, it's been a while class of '13 - where is everyone?

(excessive "-" use by me probably points to lazy composition. I would live off of -'s if I could)

Chillin' in the cafeteria, learning stages of cognitive development (Freud, Piaget, and my dear friend Erik Erikson)

Chillin' in the cafeteria, learning stages of cognitive development (Freud, Piaget, and my dear friend Erik Erikson)

I'll be upstairs reading all about it around 7:30am - there is something extra satisfying about opening or closing the library.

I'll be upstairs reading all about it around 7:30am - there is something extra satisfying about opening or closing the library.

M2 year I used to open and close the library until I burnt out twice that year. :( I never thought it was satisfying, but I did want to make sure I got my desk.

Studying for step 1, I'd get there an hour before opening go over questions and then study in the library. I did NOT close the library while studying for step 1.

Thats the first thing I think every morning now. It goes well with "When did it get to be 2:00 am" and "Why am I still in the nerd room".

Embryos. I'm bigger than them, faster than them, smarter than them. All they do is hide behind their multiple choice questions. Why don't you come out and fight me like a man, embryo!?

I could beat them in a fair fight.

Actually, same with the cadavers. When is the zombie practical?

Thats the first thing I think every morning now. It goes well with "When did it get to be 2:00 am" and "Why am I still in the nerd room".

People have had intercourse in those nerd rooms.

Yeah, I could totally tell. The first nine rooms have a chair or couch along with a bookshelf, table, and whiteboard or chalkboard. But that tenth one has a waterbed, discoball, and Barry White CD on a constant loop.

I mean, there's no way to turn the thing off, what else are you going to do in there?

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, good for them. I hope I am not ruining someone else's sex life while ruining my own social life by spending every waking moment in those rooms.

Well, good for them. I hope I am not ruining someone else's sex life while ruining my own social life by spending every waking moment in those rooms.
just take note if there's a white coat hanging on the doorknob

You're ruining your significant other's sex life by spending too much time there.

But, in all seriousness, I suggest finding a place outside of school to study. By the end of 2nd year I would get slightly nauseous when I saw that fake brick on the 1st floor of McW.

T-8 hours to the (start of) the end of block 2

I suddenly feel like a med student

Please excuse the uselessness of this as a side effect of this week's cruelty

Whoo! Down with Biochem.

Now, I think it's time we all inhibit the resynthesis of pyruvate in the liver, if you know what I mean. Let's LeChâtlier this sucker!

Naturally, doing so will also obliterate knowledge of that fact. Win-win-win.

Whoo! Down with Biochem.

Now, I think it's time we all inhibit the resynthesis of pyruvate in the liver, if you know what I mean. Let's LeChâtlier this sucker!

Naturally, doing so will also obliterate knowledge of that fact. Win-win-win.

Well done, dude.

I'll see you at bootleggers...bring the glow sticks and popped collars!

Does anybody feel like this block's lectures are a little thin compared to last block? I'm looking at my anatomy notes, and it seems like every few pages I have a space labled 'lymphatics' with nothing written under it.

Although, on further review, devo is as dense as ever. It breaks my heart. Or twists it.

Does anybody feel like this block's lectures are a little thin compared to last block? I'm looking at my anatomy notes, and it seems like every few pages I have a space labled 'lymphatics' with nothing written under it.

Although, on further review, devo is as dense as ever. It breaks my heart. Or twists it.

Lemme guess that's a Kolesari lecture. He will fill in the blanks.

Lemme guess that's a Kolesari lecture. He will fill in the blanks.

It certainly is. And he does, but he's more of a 'narrate the Netter pictures' type lecturer. He's a good guy though.

But I kinda miss the Krippendorf high-density super outline where everything you ever need to know is laid out right there.

Now for the best possible Sunday afternoon: go eat a bunch of delicious fun-size peanut butter cups while making sense of anatomy. No trick-or-treaters mean more candy for me.

Anyone have any idea what the penalty is if we miss one of the required Biochem "clinical correlations"?

They will probably send you an email saying that it is considered unprofessional to miss it. Not sure what else can be done.

They will probably send you an email saying that it is considered unprofessional to miss it. Not sure what else can be done.

I bet it'll show up as a comment on your report card, which will then make it's way onto your Dean's letter, which you then have the ability to edit out. Or they'll knock your grade down.

I didn't have a single comment on my dean's letter from an M1/M2 class. They just used all my M3 rotations.

I remember being so worried that Dr. Lough's comments from my CTB grade (which outed me as being one of the bottom 17 people in my class in terms of my grade that semester) would go on my dean's letter. Big sigh of relief when I saw that it was just M3 eval comments on there.

Class of 2013,

I recently was accepted to MCW, and will almost definitely be matriculating next fall. That said, I have a few questions for you, some of which may have been discussed previously and hopefully some that haven't.

Between now and summer, are there any activities that you found personally valuable (i.e. travel, volunteering, drinking, whatever)?

Are there any classes you would recommend as a good background for first & second year?

How important are grades at this point, do I just have to pass or maintain a decent record? What would happen with a straight 2.0?

Finally, how does it feel being a relatively large class size? Is it insignificant, profoundly disturbing, very competitive, less competitive, etc?

That's it, I look forward to being at the Medical College next year, and maybe someday I can pass the torch down to an inquisitive pre-med in the class of 2015.

Thank You!

I remember being so worried that Dr. Lough's comments from my CTB grade (which outed me as being one of the bottom 17 people in my class in terms of my grade that semester) would go on my dean's letter. Big sigh of relief when I saw that it was just M3 eval comments on there.
Haha, nice. I saw him at a restaurant last week. didn't really feel like waving him down to see how life was going....

Class of 2013,

I recently was accepted to MCW, and will almost definitely be matriculating next fall. That said, I have a few questions for you, some of which may have been discussed previously and hopefully some that haven't.

Between now and summer, are there any activities that you found personally valuable (i.e. travel, volunteering, drinking, whatever)?
Yes, definitely travel if possible. Don't even think about pre-studying. It won't help.

Are there any classes you would recommend as a good background for first & second year?
Not particularly, but if you NEED to take more classes, and nothing else particularly interests you, then I think immunology or physiology would be useful. Don't bother with anatomy unless it's part of phys.

How important are grades at this point, do I just have to pass or maintain a decent record? What would happen with a straight 2.0?
Do the best you can, because you want to do well on Step 1, which is what really matters. You don't need excellent grades unless you have very high career aspirations, and even then, you can usually get by with just respectable grades.

Finally, how does it feel being a relatively large class size? Is it insignificant, profoundly disturbing, very competitive, less competitive, etc?
I like it. There's more people for you to potentially get along with. I get along with almost everyone, but if there's only 30 people in your class, the odds of you finding a BFF/bf/gf/other are lower. I really like the big class.

ah yes. You are correct. My bad.

I was hoping for comments like Neuro "Almost honored," then if they saw my grade, they'd see how ludicrous that comment was because it was a solid high pass.

Ahhh..... J. Lough. At least someone didn't write it that would've included 20 like, ums, etc.

Class of 2013,

That's it, I look forward to being at the Medical College next year, and maybe someday I can pass the torch down to an inquisitive pre-med in the class of 2015.

Thank You!

First off, congrats! Whether you ultimately choose to come to MCW or not, it's definitely a good feeling to have an acceptance in your pocket.

I would agree with the class thing above. There's nothing that will really "prepare" you for med school. Of course, it's always easy to relearn something than learning something totally new, but unless you're a genius, you'll need to put in the time anyway. Lot's of info. I would say, that if you got into med school, it's now about a good work ethic. If you have built a solid work ethic, then you will have nothing to worry about.

Good work ethic >>>> any class you could take/have taken

I don't know if you're still in college, but if you are, enjoy it. Do things that you may not have been able to do as much as you may have wanted to. Spend those precious moments with family and friends.

I don't want to say anything regarding grades because I don't know the exact rules, but I'm sure you don't need 4.0 at this point. You know what I mean. Don't fail anything, but it probably won't have to be a top priority.

Unless you want to be friends with every single person in your class, I'd agree with the above poster and say that a large class size is nice. There are many people to interact with, and you will end up forming your own groups anyway which is like a small class, lol. Competition among my class is not that crazy. Well, atleast the people I know. Of course we strive to do our best, but none of that cut throat stuff and everyone is pretty supportive.

Well, hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

Ok, back to biochem. I need to stop procrastinating. One more to go.

First off, congrats! Whether you ultimately choose to come to MCW or not, it's definitely a good feeling to have an acceptance in your pocket.

I would agree with the class thing above. There's nothing that will really "prepare" you for med school. Of course, it's always easy to relearn something than learning something totally new, but unless you're a genius, you'll need to put in the time anyway. Lot's of info. I would say, that if you got into med school, it's now about a good work ethic. If you have built a solid work ethic, then you will have nothing to worry about.

Good work ethic >>>> any class you could take/have taken

I don't know if you're still in college, but if you are, enjoy it. Do things that you may not have been able to do as much as you may have wanted to. Spend those precious moments with family and friends.

I don't want to say anything regarding grades because I don't know the exact rules, but I'm sure you don't need 4.0 at this point. You know what I mean. Don't fail anything, but it probably won't have to be a top priority.

Unless you want to be friends with every single person in your class, I'd agree with the above poster and say that a large class size is nice. There are many people to interact with, and you will end up forming your own groups anyway which is like a small class, lol. Competition among my class is not that crazy. Well, atleast the people I know. Of course we strive to do our best, but none of that cut throat stuff and everyone is pretty supportive.

Well, hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

Ok, back to biochem. I need to stop procrastinating. One more to go.

I heard the 2013 class is quite competitive

OP: If you could take one class, take economics 101.

hi, I have a question. I'm OOS and was accepted a few weeks ago. I really love the school but I am curious about the budget. Is the cost of attendance budget pretty accurate for students?

Also the budget doesn't include the purchase of health insurance so should it be higher?

Sorry if this too early, but I just want to know if going here is the right choice for me even though I know I love it.

hi, I have a question. I'm OOS and was accepted a few weeks ago. I really love the school but I am curious about the budget. Is the cost of attendance budget pretty accurate for students?

Also the budget doesn't include the purchase of health insurance so should it be higher?

Sorry if this too early, but I just want to know if going here is the right choice for me even though I know I love it.

I am OOS, and the budget works fine for me. I have payments for a car and an apartment, as well as everyday stuff.

You should receive the health insurance stuff in the mail sometime in June. It will explain everything. In short, you can take the schools health care plan or stay on your parents.

Class of 2013,

Thank You!

Congrats on the acceptance!

Personally, I think that traveling is a pretty good idea, but just relaxing a partying isn't so bad either.

There probably aren't any classes you can take that can truly prepare you, but immunology or a class on human development might be useful.

Grades aren't as important as before, but don't slack off too much. You don't want to be relying on finals to pull your grade up to a C.

The large class size hasn't bothered me, but I went to a school with 35000+ students, and classes were generally 300+. As far as competition goes, it's kept to a fairly low minimum. I think that a smaller class would lead to more competition, as your class percentile would shift much more as you move up or down amongst your peers. This doesn't happen so much in a large class. Top 10% in our class is 20 people, as opposed to 10 or 5. There will be some competition anywhere you go, but our class (and the class above us) has been good about sharing notes, old files, interesting study tools etc.

Good luck! Hope to see you next year.

If you end up taking the school's insurance (which everyone does unless you can stay on with parents or a spouse), they will adjust the budget. In short, they accommodate, you do not need to make up the difference for health insurance.

The budget is fine.

You should be focused on figuring out what the hell "Pathways" are.

Thanks for all the input! I apperciate it and I'll do my best with that pathways. :)

But one more thing, when deciding to go to MCW was the cost of attendance a factor? Like do you consider it to have a high price tag? Will it be around 220,000 or more in loans for OOS?

I am trying to do research on my acceptances but it is hard to know what it will really be like as a medical student.

Thanks for the advice :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input! I apperciate it and I'll do my best with that pathways business. :)

But one more thing, when deciding to go to MCW was the cost of attendance a factor? Like do you consider it to have a high price tag? Will it be around 220,000 or more in loans for OOS?

I am trying to do research on my acceptances but it is hard to know what it will really be like as a medical student.

Thanks for the advice :)

I chose mcw over some other places with lower tuition but much higher cost of living. MCW people seemed more friendly and happy than the others.

It doesn't matter that much where you go. You'll pretty much be in control of what you can do with your career. MCW has a strong reputation with residencies...from what I've been told at some interviews.

hello all. quick question: how does the grading system work at this school, can everyone in a class get honors or is your grade dependent on what someone else does? thanks!

hello all. quick question: how does the grading system work at this school, can everyone in a class get honors or is your grade dependent on what someone else does? thanks!

Grades are Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, Fail. Pretty much A, B, C, D, F in disguise.

The cutoff percentages differ from class to class. But it's pretty close to a straight scale for the most part.

There is no curve, so theoretically yes, everyone can honors a course. Whether this happens is a different story. I think the school already knows how to spread out the grades. They're experienced with this kind of stuff.

Grades are Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, Fail. Pretty much A, B, C, D, F in disguise.

The cutoff percentages differ from class to class. But it's pretty close to a straight scale for the most part.

There is no curve, so theoretically yes, everyone can honors a course. Whether this happens is a different story. I think the school already knows how to spread out the grades. They're experienced with this kind of stuff.

thanks man!! great info!, can you tell me if any of the cutoffs for honors is above 90% for any of the classes (that you know of). thanks!