Medical College of Wisconsin (full-tuition) vs. Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapsis123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just received a phone call from the Medical College of Wisconsin, a school that I wasn't really considering given other acceptances, that they will offer me a full-ride and cover tuition for all 4 years. Until now, I had decided on Michigan, and taking out loans for the cost of tuition there (240k). Another option was UW-Madison at 150k total loans. I like Michigan more in pretty much every facet, except MCW allows me to be in the same city as family. Having done research on match lists and talked to alumni, it seems that Michigan would likely set me up better for a competitive specialty or competitive residency, especially given that Step1 is going pass/fail and I'd have access to more research and a better reputation at the school. Turning down full tuition seems crazy, but many people are telling me to do that and that everyone can pay off loans, and I feel like I'm starting to lean towards that too. I hate that MCW has only given me 48 hrs to decide on what seems like such a massive decision, so here I am. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how likely you think you may pursue something more competitive. If likely, go to michigan. If not, prob MCw.

Depends on how likely you think you may pursue something more competitive. If likely, go to michigan. If not or uncertain, prob MCw.
i'd prob send it to michigan if i was you but that's just me. loans can be payed off rather quickly w/o significant effect on lifestyle IF in a lucrative/competitive speciality. If that's your goal, the benefit of resources/name available at michigan that'll help you reach that goal can't be understated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you end up doing primary care, you will regret turning down a full ride big time. I would honestly choose MCW. Most people say that the cut off price for prestige is about $100k, and $240k plus interest is wayyyy too much. If you want Ortho, Neuro, Derm, Plastics, ENT, or IR, then Michigan makes sense. However keep in mind that writing “full tuition scholarship to MCW” will look as impressive if not better than “Michigan grad”.

Reactions: 2 users
If you end up doing primary care, you will regret turning down a full ride big time. I would honestly choose MCW. Most people say that the cut off price for prestige is about $100k, and $240k plus interest is wayyyy too much. If you want Ortho, Neuro, Derm, Plastics, ENT, or IR, then Michigan makes sense. However keep in mind that writing “full tuition scholarship to MCW” will look as impressive if not better than “Michigan grad”.
look impressive to who? do PDs request to know how you paid for med school?

Premeds love rank to the point that they’ll drown in loans to justify it. Gimme the full ride every day of the week

Reactions: 1 users
How much of a difference in rank would you say justifies the extra loans? I'm in the same spot (different school) and could use some advice
For me, it more depends on specialty preference. If you just want to keep all options open, T20 vs state school— $100k max. Maybe inch up to $120 or $130 if your state school is like Toledo or something and you have an A at Hopkins haha. But in general, $100k for me.

For me, it more depends on specialty preference. If you just want to keep all options open, T20 vs state school— $100k max. Maybe inch up to $120 or $130 if your state school is like Toledo or something and you have an A at Hopkins haha. But in general, $100k for me.
That's very helpful -- thank you!

My COA difference b/t the state school and T-20 private is $225,000 at one school and $272,000 at another. Very hard to justify

Edit: interested in pediatric ID/adult ID and global health, so nothing competitive

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar situation last year. This does depend a lot, but not only, on your financial situation because the situation will be "I turned down Michigan for the full ride" or "I turned down the full ride to go to Michigan". I don't either choice is wrong. All else being equal, I'd personally take the full ride because I can't justify being in 300k+ in debt in exchange for prestige.

This would be a different story if we were talking Harvard vs. some place I haven't heard of, but MCW is a great school.

Reactions: 1 user
I could understand taking the 225k in debt if you could not match any competitive specialties from MCW. However this is not the case. They just matched 11 Ortho, 4 ENT, 1 NSG, 19 Gen Surg this year. MCW is a solid T50 school that will get you anywhere you need to go if you put in the work. Take the full ride.

Reactions: 4 users