Medical College of Wisconsin vs. UW Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiki23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am in an amazing situation...

I have a full tuition scholarship to the Medical College of Wisconsin and a half tuition scholarship at UW-Madison.

I know that Madison is ranked higher than MCW, but it would cost an additional $50,000 to go there.

Any thoughts?? I am also accepted to Vanderbilt and waitlisted at UCSF, UCLA, Duke, and Penn. Financial aid is a huge factor for me.

Thanks for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

Go UCSF!

Hello,

I have a full tuition scholarship to the Medical College of Wisconsin and a half tuition scholarship at UW-Madison.

I know that Madison is ranked higher than MCW, but it would cost an additional $50,000 to go there.

Any thoughts?? I am also accepted to Vanderbilt and waitlisted at UCSF, UCLA, Duke, and Penn. Financial aid is a huge factor for me.

Thanks for you help!

Hello,

Thanks for you help!

Between MCW and UW-Madison I think I would choose MCW with no debt in a pretty easy decision. MCW is a great school and is only on the rise. Yes UW-Madison is ranked a little higher but they are not in that ultra elite category that gives you that wow factor. Now if UCSF, Duke, or Penn come calling I might have to reconsider. Those are the kind of places that with a name alone get someone a second look. No matter where you go if you excel then you will have no problem getting the type of residency you want. Congrats on the success and good luck wherever you choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes UW-Madison is ranked a little higher but they are not in that ultra elite category that gives you that wow factor.
Agreed. I'd only take on debt like that if one school completely blew the other away, and that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Just curious, what was the full-tuition offered for by MCW? you can refrain if you want, but I'm a student here, and I've never heard of a full ride. I know of a 50% scholarship, and I think that was for ethnic reasons...

Anyways, I picked MCW over UWisc, even though UW would have been $40,000 cheaper for me. I didn't like the 16 weeks of away rotations that UW required, and I didn't really want to live in Madison, because both my family and my wife's family are right here in Milwaukee. Lastly, I just had a better feeling about being here than UW.

I guess this applies to me, too. I currently live in Milwaukee w/ my husband and don't really want to move to Madison. The MCW is a little more expensive compared to UW Madison, right, but at least I won't be paying rent.

Uhm... Ebben, this was from seven years ago. Awkward...

Reactions: 1 users
I know, right... I used the keywords "mcw" "uw-madison" to search for related forums and found this one, that's why

You got into Vanderbilt too? Damn son I'd be going to Tennessee

Reactions: 1 user
You got into Vanderbilt too? Damn son I'd be going to Tennessee

Well considering the OP very well may be finishing their residency at this point, I'm not sure there is still time to make the switch.

Well considering the OP very well may be finishing their residency at this point, I'm not sure there is still time to make the switch.
Dual MD's aren't s thing yet? Shame

Reactions: 1 users