1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical College of Wisconsin vs. UW Madison

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wiki23, Apr 6, 2007.

1. wiki23

wiki23 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

So I am in an amazing situation...

I have a full tuition scholarship to the Medical College of Wisconsin and a half tuition scholarship at UW-Madison.

I know that Madison is ranked higher than MCW, but it would cost an additional $50,000 to go there.

Any thoughts?? I am also accepted to Vanderbilt and waitlisted at UCSF, UCLA, Duke, and Penn. Financial aid is a huge factor for me.

Thanks for you help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sotired

sotired sotired
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Go UCSF!

4. tdd340

tdd340 Assistant to the sensei
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Between MCW and UW-Madison I think I would choose MCW with no debt in a pretty easy decision. MCW is a great school and is only on the rise. Yes UW-Madison is ranked a little higher but they are not in that ultra elite category that gives you that wow factor. Now if UCSF, Duke, or Penn come calling I might have to reconsider. Those are the kind of places that with a name alone get someone a second look. No matter where you go if you excel then you will have no problem getting the type of residency you want. Congrats on the success and good luck wherever you choose.

5. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed. I'd only take on debt like that if one school completely blew the other away, and that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

6. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just curious, what was the full-tuition offered for by MCW? you can refrain if you want, but I'm a student here, and I've never heard of a full ride. I know of a 50% scholarship, and I think that was for ethnic reasons...

Anyways, I picked MCW over UWisc, even though UW would have been $40,000 cheaper for me. I didn't like the 16 weeks of away rotations that UW required, and I didn't really want to live in Madison, because both my family and my wife's family are right here in Milwaukee. Lastly, I just had a better feeling about being here than UW.

7. Ebben

Pre-Medical
    I guess this applies to me, too. I currently live in Milwaukee w/ my husband and don't really want to move to Madison. The MCW is a little more expensive compared to UW Madison, right, but at least I won't be paying rent.

8. Uhm... Ebben, this was from seven years ago. Awkward...

Jennyfishy and claduva94 like this.
  9. Ebben

Pre-Medical
    I know, right... I used the keywords "mcw" "uw-madison" to search for related forums and found this one, that's why

10. NervousNerd

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You got into Vanderbilt too? Damn son I'd be going to Tennessee

Cyberdyne 101 likes this.
  11. ace12345

2+ Year Member

Well considering the OP very well may be finishing their residency at this point, I'm not sure there is still time to make the switch.

12. NervousNerd

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Dual MD's aren't s thing yet? Shame

13. Cyberdyne 101

Cyberdyne 101 It's a dry heat
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You may want to create a new thread in the school-specific forum (in case you already haven't). Also, check the school-specific threads for MCW and UW-Madison.
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-medical-college-of-wisconsin-application-thread.1074015/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-university-of-wisconsin-application-thread.1074163/#post-15444298