Medical Dictionaries / Reference Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurieB

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! An acquaintance of mine who works for an NGO in Cambodia is looking for good medical reference books. Her organization works with vicitims of human right's abuses and has a few nurses on staff that treat injuries and illnesses of these victims. When I last talked with her, they were using a 1994 Physicians Desk Reference for their primary source of medical information. I am getting a 2004 Physicians Desk Reference for her, but I also thought I should get the Merck Manual and a decent medical dictionary.

Can any of you recommend good medical reference books that would be relevant in this situation?

Also, what medical dictionary would you get: a Dorland's Illustrated, Stedman's, or something else?

Much thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Laurie

Members don't see this ad.

PDR and medical dictionaries aren't really good resources to use for treating patients. A better resource would be something like "Current medical diagnosis and treatment" or Harrison's internal medicine. Merck manual is probably pretty good too.