Medical Director Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyguru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in contract negotiations with a corporation who is offering a med director position of an outpatient clinic. I will be contracting with the current med director's Professional Association. This PA has a manager service agreement with the corporation. Eventually the plan is to contract with my PA directly and open several more clinics. I will be supervising NPs and also seeing patients. They are ok with my private medicolegal practice which I plan on continuing with. I will be paid a base salary plus profit sharing plus bonus for every new clinic opened. I have a contract attorney. Will be getting benefits, med mal and med director insurance. Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

It's a lot like any other type of management position. Get ready to deal with all of the staff issues- hiring, reprimanding, firing, repeat. Also all of the issues of a "work family" they will all bring. I feel as if 90% of my stress is from all of this. Give me a difficult patient over a difficult employee anytime.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping it would be ok as it is a small outpatient practice. It would be a lot different than being a med director of a large psych hospital. The practice comes with a practice manager as well.

Have you spent time there? Getting a feel for the climate is crucial. I have seem some small and not so small clinics that are dysfunctional beyond belief. Seriously examine the prescribing habits you will be inheriting.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been to the clinic for my interview. The other md who works there sold this clinic to the corporation that now has a management service agreement. Apparently they are good at running clinics, better than original md owner. They also can invest in the clinic and plan on opening several more.

I have been to the clinic for my interview. The other md who works there sold this clinic to the corporation that now has a management service agreement. Apparently they are good at running clinics, better than original md owner. They also can invest in the clinic and plan on opening several more.

Does it seem weird to anyone else that someone would sell their own clinic and agree to have the clinic hire a new medical director (boss) while still working there.

I believe he will be co med director. Right now there are 2 clinics. The corp is planning adding several more clinics in the area.

Does it seem weird to anyone else that someone would sell their own clinic and agree to have the clinic hire a new medical director (boss) while still working there.

He could be older and wants to just work without the extra stress. There are many reasonable reasons as to why the above situation would occur

Also this corp has resources, time and know how to run clinic.