Medical ECs ok for Dents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be alright to put down international medical volunteering in your ECs list for dental apps even though the work was with physicians in hospitals or do dental schools frown against that?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be alright to put down international medical volunteering in your ECs list for dental apps even though the work was with physicians in hospitals or do dental schools frown against that?

absolutely you need/should put it down. but it must be in ADDITION to dental experience and not in place of dental experience

absolutely you need/should put it down. but it must be in ADDITION to dental experience and not in place of dental experience

I have 57 hours of shadowing - is this enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 57 hours of shadowing - is this enough?

I dunno, have you spent more than 57 hours playing gears of war? Which is more important? :laugh:

I jest... I only had 50 hours, and I felt it was sufficient. Although 57 is an odd number, why not round it off somewhere?

Just curious, why after spending so much time being a pre-med you decide to switch to pre-dental?

Just curious, why after spending so much time being a pre-med you decide to switch to pre-dental?

Might be the exact same question the adcoms will ask if you don't show sufficient dental involvement.

Might be the exact same question the adcoms will ask if you don't show sufficient dental involvement.

you will get asked this question a lot!! i have about the same amnt of dental experience as medical experience so have a good answer for this one.

I'm in Alpha Epsilon Delta and AMSA but neither showed up on my AADSAS. You're resume should be rich enough that you don't need it. And if your EC's are sparse, then the Pre-Med organization stands out even more. In short, I wouldn't put it.

And I'd recommend another 43 hours shadowing. Some schools require or recommend 100 hours shadowing, so it won't limit you if you get the full hundy.

non-dental volunteering works in your favor as it helps show that you are a well-rounded applicant. but it is not a substitute for dental-specific ECs. I would put it, but also up the number of hours in a dental clinic