Medical Education on HIV/AIDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boggle2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am starting a project for one of my classes on medical education on HIV/AIDS. I am going to do a literature search (of course), but I was wondering if any current medical student could comment on how your school handled education on the topic. My group is interested in seeing if there are differences in the education on this topic based on the patient population, type of school, etc. I think this is an interesting topic because it is inherently multidisciplinary and has a social/historical background to it as well. Thanks! Any feedback would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

We learned about HIV viral mechanisms and biology and clinical course in biochem, cell bio, immuno, and micro bio lectures. We had a patient presentation series on the disease by a physical and had an hour long interview with an HIV patient. Second year I think we get much more in depth in microbio and heme.

Hey OP - I'm an M1 who has learn a lot about HIV through school but also worked as an HIV researcher for 2 years before medical school and a certified HIV counselor/tester. As someone who has published in the field and has experienced med school, I can confidently say that the level of education in medical school is very adequate to define and understand HIV quite well. M1 is usually the science behind physiology and some diseases - the coverage on HIV has been great and I am quite proud of how the field has contributed to our knowledge as future doctors.