medical elective in UK ..+ funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khaled123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
How are you doctors
Iam final year medical student and I want get medical elctive with least restrictions as Iam running out of time .
which university you recommend for me ??

2- in general in which % I can get work in surgery departments later with all qualification hold ..

3- what avbout organisations which can fund my elective travel and accomodation even if partial

thanks ..iam waiting your reply ugrently

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
How are you doctors
Iam final year medical student and I want get medical elctive with least restrictions as Iam running out of time .
which university you recommend for me ??

2- in general in which % I can get work in surgery departments later with all qualification hold ..

3- what avbout organisations which can fund my elective travel and accomodation even if partial

thanks ..iam waiting your reply ugrently

I recommend Edinburgh:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/medicine-vet-medicine/undergraduate/medical-electives

or Imperial College London

http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/teaching/undergraduate/incomingelectives/

or Cambridge

http://www.medschl.cam.ac.uk/education/elective/

or Oxford

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/electives/copy_of_electives

or UCL

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/undergraduate/electives/1314-VE-Guidelines.pdf

These are "generally" considered the best 5 medical schools in the UK. All have strong hospitals and strong clinical medicine departments.

I don't know any organizations that fund electives, but generally they unis don't charge except for administrative fees for electives. Accommodation you'll have to find on your own, if cost of accommodation is a concern its best to avoid London.

Thanks alot for quick answer so I will focus on Edinburgh ..
and I think I will have to search organisation which can help me also ..

Members don't see this ad :)
What nonsense

No matter how med students like to spin it, some schools do have a better reputation than others.

The oft repeated, where you went to medical school doesn't count for F1 apps is true, but for anything else, including international students doing electives, or students applying elsewhere for graduate school or graduate medical education, like you said yourself "a 1st from Oxford is not the same as a 1st from Edge Hill".

No matter how med students like to spin it, some schools do have a better reputation than others.

The oft repeated, where you went to medical school doesn't count for F1 apps is true, but for anything else, including international students doing electives, or students applying elsewhere for graduate school or graduate medical education, like you said yourself "a 1st from Oxford is not the same as a 1st from Edge Hill".

Of course some schools have a better reputation than others but you just picked a random 5.

Have you applied for jobs yet? No. It might help for international student electives but it makes no difference for anything else. The way jobs are applied for, where you went to school may not even be seen by anyone other than admin people. For training jobs it in no way matters. For consultant posts where you trained and how the people you trained with feel about you matters, not what school you went to. If someone interviewing you happened to go to the same school as you it might get a brief mention but more in terms of "oh, do you know so and so", nothing beyond that.

You are ridiculously junior and commenting on things you just know nothing about.

Of course some schools have a better reputation than others but you just picked a random 5.

Have you applied for jobs yet? No. It might help for international student electives but it makes no difference for anything else. The way jobs are applied for, where you went to school may not even be seen by anyone other than admin people. For training jobs it in no way matters. For consultant posts where you trained and how the people you trained with feel about you matters, not what school you went to. If someone interviewing you happened to go to the same school as you it might get a brief mention but more in terms of "oh, do you know so and so", nothing beyond that.

You are ridiculously junior and commenting on things you just know nothing about.

Lol, and in contrast, you are so old things have changed since you applied back in 1570? I've never met someone on this forum with such a short fuse as you. Its really sad as I can totally imagine your face turning red as a tomato after reading an online post on a forum, amazing.

Like i said, where you went to school doesn't matter if you apply in the UK. Someone came and asked a question about electives, would you recommend just any 5 random medical schools? There are a lot of good schools, and I chose 5 that are ranked well in both domestic and international rankings and have high research incomes. I don't understand why you are getting so upset over this. I made a point, you can disagree, but instead of offering up solutions you just yell and scream like a big child.

Lol, and in contrast, you are so old things have changed since you applied back in 1570? I've never met someone on this forum with such a short fuse as you. Its really sad as I can totally imagine your face turning red as a tomato after reading an online post on a forum, amazing.

Like i said, where you went to school doesn't matter if you apply in the UK. Someone came and asked a question about electives, would you recommend just any 5 random medical schools? There are a lot of good schools, and I chose 5 that are ranked well in both domestic and international rankings and have high research incomes. I don't understand why you are getting so upset over this. I made a point, you can disagree, but instead of offering up solutions you just yell and scream like a big child.

Er...no one is screaming. Disagreeing with you means I have a short fuse? Most people at your level make similar comments to you. In a few years you will realise how silly you seem. The first line of your post makes your immaturity clear.

You picked 5 random schools and said they were the best, that is incredibly misleading

Er...no one is screaming. Disagreeing with you means I have a short fuse? Most people at your level make similar comments to you. In a few years you will realise how silly you seem. The first line of your post makes your immaturity clear.

You picked 5 random schools and said they were the best, that is incredibly misleading

The very fact that you are still arguing with me shows you are no more "mature" than I am. Aren't you old folks supposed to rise above the conflict? Yet you look for conflict and expand it. I wouldn't be saying this if this was your first post like this. You routinely reply to posts you disagree with ad hominem attacks and using crass words like "nonsense", "stupid". And to call others immature... Your house must need a new mirror.

Being more polite with a disagreement will go a long way.

Last edited:
The very fact that you are still arguing with me shows you are no more "mature" than I am. Aren't you old folks supposed to rise above the conflict? Yet you look for conflict and expand it. I wouldn't be saying this if this was your first post like this. You routinely reply to posts you disagree with ad hominem attacks and using crass words like "nonsense", "stupid". And to call others immature... Your house must need a new mirror.

Being more polite with a disagreement will go a long way.

There is a difference between arguing and not wanting others to be mislead by your misinformation.

You have some very funny ideas about what is and isn't polite.