Medical Electives for IMG's

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by flusky, Nov 24, 2002.

1. flusky

flusky Junior Member

Has Anyone any information regarding International Medical Students and Electives in the U.S?
    I am looking into an Anasthesiology elective at the University of Hawaii. Has anyone been there or go there that can tell me their policy ( or lack thereof) on IMG's?
    Thanks,
    David
    Trinity College Medicine Ireland

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    While I cannot speak about their policy for visiting electives, I would encourage you to look elsewhere if you are planning on using this as a link to future US residencies. Hawaii is basically closed to anyone without significant link to the islands - for residency or medical school.

Therefore, your time would probably be better spent doing a visiting elective at an institution open to IMGs (or anyone for that matter from outside of Hawaii).

4. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    mmm, another Trinner. Welcome to the boards :). I'm several years under you.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Moving to Clinical Rotations forum...

6. jon_jon

jon_jon Member

Supposedly there are many hospitals in New York and New Jersey that are open to international medical students doing electives. You may have to call or email each hospital and ask.