Medical Entrepreneurial Aspirations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rub A Dub GTI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am a non-traditional second year medical student with a very strong interest in starting a business after medical school. I will complete my education and residency before starting on this path. My school does not have an MBA program so I am trying to find other ways to get exposure while I am still in school. I have been speaking at length with my physician mentors, but it is obvious I am moving in a direction that is outside of their life experience. If anyone has suggestions of organizations I should get involved with, or experiences I should pursue , the input would be appreciated. So far I have found Society for Physician Entrepreneurs and I have been reading online articles on students that have pursued businesses while in medical school, but interacting with individuals who have the same passion would incredible.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a shame there has been no action on this thread. I'm in a similar boat and would love to know more, or at least find others to network with and combing our ideas and passions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to start a business, you don't need an MBA. You may be better served just reading as much as you can, and use the money you'd use for an MBA program to start your business.

It is different if you want to do hospital administration (any MBA would do) or being a healthcare executive at an academic hospital or major healthcare system (prefer top 10 MBA). With that said, you can almost do anything with just your MD. It may take longer, and you won't skip a few steps like you can with an elite MBA, but an MBA is not required by any means.

As the previous person said, there is no need for MBA to start your own business.

What is stopping you now from starting your own business? There are lot of people who have Instagram, YouTube channels, or blogs that try to make a business out of that. You might not make much money but you will get a lot in experience.

When I was in residency I start up several small businesses and websites that made a bit of beer money for me. It was much much more valuable about learning about how to start up a business and run a business instead of making a ton of money off those ideas. Once you get out on your own with your MD past residency, then you will really be able to go hog wild and put all your energy behind a business.

Many of the Entrepreneur groups are more of a "wantrepreneur" type of group or filled with people trying to sell you something.

Ignore the noise, put your head down and start up your business and don't look back.

Social media is the biggest time waster, but a necessary evil. Trying to get my YouTube videos noticed and have had to branch out and learn these different system.

Hello

I am a non-traditional second year medical student with a very strong interest in starting a business after medical school. I will complete my education and residency before starting on this path. My school does not have an MBA program so I am trying to find other ways to get exposure while I am still in school. I have been speaking at length with my physician mentors, but it is obvious I am moving in a direction that is outside of their life experience. If anyone has suggestions of organizations I should get involved with, or experiences I should pursue , the input would be appreciated. So far I have found Society for Physician Entrepreneurs and I have been reading online articles on students that have pursued businesses while in medical school, but interacting with individuals who have the same passion would incredible.

Thanks!
Hi there I don't think you necessarily need an MBA to pursue business. It depends on what you are hoping to do.

As the previous person said, there is no need for MBA to start your own business.

What is stopping you now from starting your own business? There are lot of people who have Instagram, YouTube channels, or blogs that try to make a business out of that. You might not make much money but you will get a lot in experience.

When I was in residency I start up several small businesses and websites that made a bit of beer money for me. It was much much more valuable about learning about how to start up a business and run a business instead of making a ton of money off those ideas. Once you get out on your own with your MD past residency, then you will really be able to go hog wild and put all your energy behind a business.

Many of the Entrepreneur groups are more of a "wantrepreneur" type of group or filled with people trying to sell you something.

Ignore the noise, put your head down and start up your business and don't look back.
totally agree with this!

definitely agree with most of the sentiments on here, no need for an MBA. I successfully started a company and am now onto my third venture. Some people truly feel that they need or want an MBA for connections, but now with so many different groups and societies I dont think you necesarrily find the connects at school