Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Whats a good medical ethics book that premeds can comprehend?

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
maybe you can search online and find some undergrad level medical ethics courses at different colleges and find out what book they are using. i know that my school, univ of southnern cali (USC), has one...religion 460.

ill see if i can help some more.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
also the show ER has a webpage with ethical situations from each episode. google for it. sorry, i lost the link somewhere along the interview path.

About the Ads

Tiki

Girl named after a Giant
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2004
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For my Bioethics course we used "Intervention and Reflection: Basic Issues in Medical Ethics Ed. 7" by Ronald Munson. I thought it was easy to understand, gave lots of viewpoints, covered most of the issues.

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2002
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
Whats a good medical ethics book that premeds can comprehend?

Pinkertinkle, I would recommend "To Relieve the Human Condition" by Gerald McKenny, "Suffering Presence" by Stanley Hauerwas, and "The Body of Compassion" by Joel James Shuman.

IrishOarsman

My Rx: Guiness
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Chicago
Status (Visible)
The most influential medical ethics text (other than the Roe decision) in the past thirty years is Beauchamp and Childress' Principles of Biomedical Ethics, currently in its fifth edition.

I personally have many issues with the book, but it is the most often quoted source in modern hospital ethics situations (autonomy-beneficence-nonmaleficence-justice, their four principles, are the dominant analytical categories for approaching cases). Singer is great for reading someone you have to hate, but this text is much better for the basic outline.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.