Medical Indemnity/Malpractice Insurance for Elective in U.K./Ireland???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kct18

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a medical student who studies in the EU with Irish citizenship and I'm married to a U.K. Citizen. I have always been able to get medical indemnity coverage through MPS for clinical electives in the U.K. and Ireland. However, as of October 2016, they have stopped covering citizens who study outside of the UK and Ireland (but still within the EU) for medical malpractice. My university's medical insurance does not cover placements abroad. I have called the MPS, MDU, MDDU, BMA, GMC, Royal college of Surgeons and various medical insurers and underwriters in the U.K. And Ireland and haven't been able to get any insurance anywhere. There used to be a work around where the affiliated uni to the teaching hospital would enroll you for a month, but the medical underwriters have now said they won't even allow this anymore! I'm 1 year from graduating and have several electives lined up in the U.K. (our final year is similar to F1). And I don't know what to do. Without more UK experience I'm worried I won't be able to find a job in the UK (getting one in Ireland seems next to impossible at the moment). So I desperately need to sort this insurance!!!

Anyone had any luck???

Members don't see this ad.