Medical Issue - ASTHMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmbjinc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on going active duty this summer. I am actually optomistic about it, too. Just waiting for my duty station assignment at this point.

BUT, I recently received a request for documentation reguarding my treatment for ASTHMA. I have in fact been diagnosed with and treated for asthma in the past few years (strongly positive provocative PFTs, steroid dependant - the whole bit). I have disclosed this every year (for four years)on my update form. Only now does anyone seemed concerned.

Does this mean anything? Can this be disqualifying? I'm honestly pretty surprised about their concern.

Please know that I am NOT trying to get out of my committment. So "honor" questioning flamers stay away. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on going active duty this summer. I am actually optomistic about it, too. Just waiting for my duty station assignment at this point.

BUT, I recently received a request for documentation reguarding my treatment for ASTHMA. I have in fact been diagnosed with and treated for asthma in the past few years (strongly positive provocative PFTs, steroid dependant - the whole bit). I have disclosed this every year (for four years)on my update form. Only now does anyone seemed concerned.

Does this mean anything? Can this be disqualifying? I'm honestly pretty surprised about their concern.

Please know that I am NOT trying to get out of my committment. So "honor" questioning flamers stay away. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks.

You could be waivered if your symptoms are controlled medically. You would not likely be allowed to take a billet OCONUS or deploy. They might place you in a stateside clinic billet with restrictions for PRTs and requirements for specialty followup. I doubt you would be found to be NPQ without waiver for
general duty as a physician unless you could not be controlled, which if you are finishing school does not appear to be the case.

Obviously special duty, dive and flight, are out. You would not be waiverable for that.

You could be waivered if your symptoms are controlled medically. You would not likely be allowed to take a billet OCONUS or deploy. They might place you in a stateside clinic billet with restrictions for PRTs and requirements for specialty followup. I doubt you would be found to be NPQ without waiver for
general duty as a physician unless you could not be controlled, which if you are finishing school does not appear to be the case.

Obviously special duty, dive and flight, are out. You would not be waiverable for that.

With the current site of deployment being where it is there is much concern over folks with asthma/reactive airway whatever you want to call it. I guess there have been several instances of people having attacks in theater requiring evac so I think it is probably precautionary more than anything. All this based on what I've heard from people who have deployed and given lectures at school not personal experience so make of it what you will.