Medical Journals with Price Breaks for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waldeinsamkeit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the NEJM is much more affordable for students--does anyone know any other journals with similar deals?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your school gives you free electronic access to lots of journals, why pay for paper?

Reactions: 1 user
If you sign up for AMA you get 4 years of JAMA, but might be state/program specific.

Agree with above though - why pay for paper if you get it free online?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your school gives you free electronic access to lots of journals, why pay for paper?

I feel like getting the NEJM each week and making myself read a couple articles before the next one arrives gives me some incentive. You could do that digitally as well but there's something about getting it in print that's so satisfying...

Everything else in my life (and curriculum) is digital so it's a nice change of pace.

I feel like getting the NEJM each week and making myself read a couple articles before the next one arrives gives me some incentive. You could do that digitally as well but there's something about getting it in print that's so satisfying...

Everything else in my life (and curriculum) is digital so it's a nice change of pace.

Pretty sure you can get the newest NEJM, or at least a few of the articles, for free online.. then just go to your hospital library where printing is typically free for staff.

Call me weird, I just like paper journals. Also, in another life I use to have many paper journals for my other career, and I could always find articles I needed faster. IDK why, just the way my brain works. But with some of these journals around $300 / yr, I will change my brain lol

Reactions: 1 users
The AAFP may or may not give online access for a prolonged period of time. I signed up during my FP rotation and got printed journals for several months. I think that I still have access to the e-versions.

Call me weird, I just like paper journals. Also, in another life I use to have many paper journals for my other career, and I could always find articles I needed faster. IDK why, just the way my brain works. But with some of these journals around $300 / yr, I will change my brain lol

Go for JAMA. It's relatively dirt cheap and has a nice, general scope. If you have a specialty in mind that has conferences you might want to attend (poster presentation), then become a member of that organization. You'll get discounts for their conferences and maybe for their journal. You won't have time to read them in depth, but I've come across a couple that have sparked some discussion. I've actually spent too much time reading them since they always seemed more interesting than school work. Don't do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Any benefit to reading these journals during yr 1 and 2 (outside curiosity, youre bored, etc)?

I thought this too. They tend to back up and overflow on my desk. I probably have ~40 journals stacked on my desk waiting to be read (not all just one journal).

Reactions: 1 users
I have no idea why anyone would want a paper journal when they can access the electronic version through their medical school... unless you need a stack of medical journals to impress the ladies that come over... and by that I am referring to women from the 1950's who are probably the last people in America who would be impressed that you are medical student.

So yes, get the paper journal... and a time machine.