Medical Journals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some typical medical journals that a future MD/PhD applicant would read?

Members don't see this ad.

You're a high school student? Have you done any basic science research so far? It's a lot different being in a lab and doing research than reading about being in a lab. How have you decided that you're interested in pursuing a research-heavy career?

Regarding reading journals, there really isn't anything you can read that would help you become a better MD/PhD applicant. I suggest working in a research lab during college to get experience and focus on reading articles related to your line of research. Have a good GPA, study hard, (hopefully) do well on the MCAT, and be able to discuss your research at interviews; pretty much like any other med school applicant.

If you're interested in reading for reading's sake, I'd suggest taking at look at some review articles in NEJM related to diseases you're interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't suggest paying money to subscribe to any particular journal at this point. Wait until you find what you're truly interested in; plus most of the journals are available for free online either through pubmed or your future university's library.

I think a good start would be to subscribe to a bunch of research podcasts and just start listening to various topics. They give a quick overview of major articles and you'll start to find out which journals/subjects are of particular interest to you. I've found these to be a great resource with little time investment.

Here are some of my favorites:
  • Cell Podcast
  • Nature Podcast; Nature Medicine Podcast; Genetics Podcast from Nature; Cancer Podcast from Nature
  • Journal of Proteome Research Podcast; Proteomics Podcast
  • Scientific American Podcast
Many major medical journals/schools also have podcasts such as: JAMA, NEJM, Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, NIH.

i second the podcast thing.

i don't know anyone who reads the general journals cover to cover. even professors. people read about the fields they are in/are interested in.