Medical license fee tax deductible for resident?

Purulent DC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
    I've saved my receipts for moving to my current residency in CA and I planned to deduct those expenses, but what about medical license fees? I just had to pay $815 to begin the multi-month process of getting my California license. Does anyone know if this fee is deductible?

edmadison

1K Member
    Army
    15+ Year Member
    Feb 28, 2001
    Lactate > 15
    1. Attending Physician
      I can help you here. You absolutely can NOT deduct your medical license fees (at least for you initial licensure). I quote publication 17:

"You cannot deduct professional accreditation fees such as the following... 3) Medical and dental license fees paid to get initial licensing."

Sorry,

Ed

Purulent DC

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 23, 2003
        edmadison said:
        I can help you here. You absolutely can NOT deduct your medical license fees (at least for you initial licensure). I quote publication 17:

"You cannot deduct professional accreditation fees such as the following... 3) Medical and dental license fees paid to get initial licensing."

Sorry,

Ed

Thanks ED. I guess the evil tax man triumphs once again.

About the Ads

Snoopy

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 11, 2000
          Just looked through that publication and could not find the reference you quoted. I DID deduct my license fees based on other statements in that same publication. Do you have a page numebr?

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.