Medical License for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiveRivers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon after we match into a particular program, does the program want us to apply for that state's medical license? For instance, after we match in March, when does the program contact us (or we contact them) asking about how to get a license for that particular state? Is this done more in May/June before residency? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

How soon after we match into a particular program, does the program want us to apply for that state's medical license? For instance, after we match in March, when does the program contact us (or we contact them) asking about how to get a license for that particular state? Is this done more in May/June before residency? Thank you.
It varies from state to state and program to program. My program emailed us a whole bunch of forms a week or two after match, then physically mailed us a whole nother set a week or two later. Then the VA we're affiliated with mailed us another humongous packet. They were all due in April/May.

Just assume that whatever program you end up matching to will know all of the requirements for their particular state and will tell you about them after you match. Nothing to worry about right now.

Yep, your program will help you figure it out. Some states don't require training licenses at all. IMO, the VA hurdle was the worst -- I felt a little personally violated by how much information they asked for, including endless character and address references. If you have a red flag that you feel might slow down the process, I'd check in with GME pretty soon after matching to ask about the process.

For my fellowship, I started my license application in January, a month after I matched. In Louisiana, it takes a long time to get a license. They're very strict. You have to submit fingerprints for a criminal background check, fill out two applications (FCVS and the Louisiana state medical license application), and do a personal interview. Our fellowship coordinator advised us to get started on it in January.

For my fellowship, I started my license application in January, a month after I matched. In Louisiana, it takes a long time to get a license. They're very strict. You have to submit fingerprints for a criminal background check, fill out two applications (FCVS and the Louisiana state medical license application), and do a personal interview. Our fellowship coordinator advised us to get started on it in January.
I am applying to LSBME. What is this interview about? Should I do something to prepare for it?