1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

medical license

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by entropy, Oct 17, 2002.

  1. entropy

    entropy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Apr 20, 2002
    Likes Received:
    in which states can you start residency without getting a medical lincense?
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. womansurg

    womansurg it's a hard life...
    7+ Year Member

    Aug 19, 2002
    Likes Received:
    All residents are granted a temporary limited license under their training program. This allows you to prescribe drugs and perform as a physician within the the constraints of the supervised structure of your training.

    You have to pass part 3 of USMLE and then apply to the state board for your permanent license. Usually this happens during or after your second year. At this point you may then moonlight in EDs, etc., function independently and receive compensation for your work.
  4. redleft123

    redleft123 Ho' Dawg
    7+ Year Member

    May 19, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Not quite true in all states. For example, here in Calif, there is no temporary license for residents. There is only one license....a full and unrestricted P&S license.

    Under Calif law, as a resident, you are exempt from licensure if 1) if are a US/Canadian med school graduate and you are in PGY1 or PGY2, or 2) if you are IMG, for PGY1, PGY2, or PGY3. Thereafter, in each case, you must be licensed.

    Further, in Calif, US/Canadian grads are not even eligible for licensure until they have completed PGY1 (and for IMGs, when they have compelted PGY2). So, those residents can not even be licensed.

    I hope that helps....for California.


Share This Page