medical malpractice insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cytom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I come from Europe and I have opportunity to do medical clerkship in Orlando/Florida this summer. Only problem is that they ask me to have medical malpractice insurance. In my country I can't get such insurance because we do not have it.
So, I want to ask if anybody knows how I can solve this problem, or if you can recommend me which insurance company and how to contact in order to get private medical malpractice insurance. Please help!!! :confused:

CyTom

Members don't see this ad.

I have some friends doing a medical elective in the US starting in a few weeks time - they asked the place where they're doing it if they could be covered using the company that cover's the institutions own students.

If you're from the UK, then you could contact the MDU or MPS and they could probably help you (they probably would even if you're not from the UK).

An address I have for doctors working in the states is Physician Insurers Association of America (PIAA), 2275 Research Boulevard, Suite 250, Rockville, MD 20850, USA. I've no idea if they are any good, but they might be able to help you. Presumably they put you in contact with a suitable malpractice insurer.

We don't have to have insurance either here in the UK, but some of our teaching hospitals are willing to set up a reciprocal agreement type thing, where you are covered under your home hospital's insurance to work elsewhere. Ususally doesn't work for the states or israel though, where they have insane sue cultures!

Good luck - hope this helped a little.

Thanks, I'll try to contact host university. If someone has more suggestions please post it. :idea:

I'm a US student and I have looked around at electives around the country that I want to take. While many require you to provide your own malpractice insurance (meaning that for me, my university has already taken care of this because they provide insurance for when I am working in its own hospitals), there also seem to be a few electives that provide insurance for ALL VISITING STUDENTS. If you can find a list of electives in the field you wish to rotate in, some of these lists will tell you whether malpractice is covered. It may be possible for you to simply find a hospital that does cover for malpractice.