Medical Marijuana Card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't stereotype and automatically think that if somebody smokes weed that they're a pothead. Its like with alcohol; most people that drink it are alcoholics, but that doesn't mean that people (non-alcoholics) can't enjoy it responsibly. I feel like the majority of people ruin the reputation of alcohol/weed for the rest of the responsible users.

Are you high? Something like 2/3 of adults in the USA drink alcohol. The numbers I can find on alcoholics puts them at like 15 million people in the US, which out of an overall population of 313 million people is approximately 5%.

I do agree that the negative stigma around smoking cannabis is changing for the better, but you should also realize that as a young person in CA you're way ahead of the curve.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you high? Something like 2/3 of adults in the USA drink alcohol. The numbers I can find on alcoholics puts them at like 15 million people in the US, which out of an overall population of 313 million people is approximately 5%.

I do agree that the negative stigma around smoking cannabis is changing for the better, but you should also realize that as a young person in CA you're way ahead of the curve.

lol. Man this thread is hilarious.

You cannot be prescribed marijuana in california. You can only be recommended marijuana by a physician, which is why pharmacies in california are not obligated to have it in stock.

And no, nobody will find out, unless you tell them. There's a reason for privacy laws.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can they do that for smoking or alcohol?

They did it at my old job. They fired a guy for coming in to work 0.02 above the limit for booze. The reason is that he did construction and had driven a county vehicle to the test. Above the limit is drunk driving even if you were recovering from the night before.

Getting a CDL is hard and also states what substances are allowed to be in your system. Alcohol and MJ are not approved drugs.

actually.... you might want to read up on state based prescription monitoring databases.

I meant more like criminal record for background checks. Even still, the marijuana prescription doesn't get entered the same way because the legislation, at least in CA, is so poorly written

I don't know the particulars of getting licensed, however given that marijuana is considered by the DEA to be a highly controlled substance and "your friend" would likely be understood as abusing that substance if he were caught on a drug screen, I would imagine that at a minimum getting a DEA license to prescribe controlled substances would be more difficult. In a worst case scenario I imagine that getting your medical license could also be a problem if a licensing board really wanted to make your life suck.

The point is that unless "your friend" is willing to fight a bunch of uphill nonsense to justify his weed use it just isn't worth it. Weed remains illegal at the federal level despite whatever the states may do. It's illegal, plain and simple, and "your friend" should keep that in mind when it comes to disclosing this info.

This is probably the best, most real advice on here.

I look forward to a day when the therapeutic effects are officially recognized on the federal level. I don't think many people understand the substantial effects it can have on someone with Crohn's Disease with chronic pain. The amount people who do understand this are increasing, but it is no where near where it should be.

THC has the capability of being abused, much like alcohol (although nearly impossible to overdose). It is solely down to the person using it to be responsible. Unfortunately there is still a lot of fear mongering that goes on. I've never heard of someone experiencing the effects of THC and saying "I hate this it is awful!", but can not say the same thing about those with their heads in the toilet after drinking too much keystone light.

I'm in no way advocating the use of marijuana, just my thoughts.

You guys are taking physically addicted full blown alcoholics that drink everyday. In my opinion if you drink two or more times a week than you already have a problem.

Just because it becomes legal doesn't mean jobs can't do drug tests and fire you for using it. It's legal in Washington but certain jobs still require the workers to refrain from using it.

Jobs can require you to do anything that they desire. But bottom line is banning marijuana but alcohol remaining legal makes no sense... Poor weed, victim of the war against industrial hemp.

You guys are taking physically addicted full blown alcoholics that drink everyday. In my opinion if you drink two or more times a week than you already have a problem.

:smack:

What do you call the daily red wine drinker who is in even better shape because of it than the non-drinker? A healthy alcoholic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess if certain jobs can require that you don't use tobacco as of ur hiring date then they can do it with weed or booze. Oh and HIPPA HIPPA HIPPA yup phone still autocorrecting it- I wish I was as awesome as some of u really cool brilliant pre-meds that are obviously going to get into top 5 meds schools- it must be nice to have never made a spelling error- make sure u belittle ur patients like this- and let them know how intellectually superior u r to them and everyone else. Dicks!

I guess if certain jobs can require that you don't use tobacco as of ur hiring date then they can do it with weed or booze. Oh and HIPPA HIPPA HIPPA yup phone still autocorrecting it- I wish I was as awesome as some of u really cool brilliant pre-meds that are obviously going to get into top 5 meds schools- it must be nice to have never made a spelling error- make sure u belittle ur patients like this- and let them know how intellectually superior u r to them and everyone else. Dicks!

Well that escalated quickly...

I guess I'm just a sensitive unique butterfly!

You said it, not me.

Ha ha- yeah I'm just asking for it now! But I figured I would purposely give the kids the opportunity and the ammo to rag on some one for real! See I'm a nice guy!

Last edited:

When you get into medical school and have to spend 4 hours watching HIPAA videos, go ahead and be a dick enlighten the minds of the other premeds.

HIPAA HIPAA HIPAA

My phone autocorrects it to that. It does what I previously written since autocorrect learns from the user.

37210653.jpg

timetostopposting.jpg

Trust me man, your views will change when you go to college, and continue to change as you age. Alcohol made my undergrad experience 100 times more enjoyable.

When you get into medical school and have to spend 4 hours watching HIPAA videos, go ahead and be a dick enlighten the minds of the other premeds.

HIPAA HIPAA HIPAA

My phone autocorrects it to that. It does what I previously written since autocorrect learns from the user.

Actually there is no reason for you to belittle anyone, y because ur stressed? This is how us manage ur stress come on SDN and make fun of people? Hang out in the premed section and look to give someone a hard time over a spelling error. Congrats on getting to the point where u have to watch HIPPA videos for 4 hours, seriously that's cool! But I hope when (& if) I get to ur point in med school I'm not acting like a DICK to people for spelling something wrong on a Internet forum page because I'm stressed.
Before my horrible spelling in my original post I have never typed 2 things in this phone (as I have had this phone for less than a week) one was hipaa and the other was thoracic it autocorrected both of them WRONG I just happen to catch thoracic and missed hipaa- as if it even matters its called a god damn mistake!
Let those without fault cast the first stone- and since you casted the first stone and I foolishly let it get to me and cast stones myself I will leave it at this post- I will drop it as I am not stressed so i have no excuse for being a dick but have become a dick because of it. So the ball is in your court- I've let it go- so you can either continue being a dick or you can drop it also! By chance you wouldn't be from or in Massachusetts would you?

Actually there is no reason for you to belittle anyone, y because ur stressed? This is how us manage ur stress come on SDN and make fun of people? Hang out in the premed section and look to give someone a hard time over a spelling error. Congrats on getting to the point where u have to watch HIPPA videos for 4 hours, seriously that's cool! But I hope when (& if) I get to ur point in med school I'm not acting like a DICK to people for spelling something wrong on a Internet forum page because I'm stressed.
Before my horrible spelling in my original post I have never typed 2 things in this phone (as I have had this phone for less than a week) one was hipaa and the other was thoracic it autocorrected both of them WRONG I just happen to catch thoracic and missed hipaa- as if it even matters its called a god damn mistake!
Let those without fault cast the first stone- and since you casted the first stone and I foolishly let it get to me and cast stones myself I will leave it at this post- I will drop it as I am not stressed so i have no excuse for being a dick but have become a dick because of it. So the ball is in your court- I've let it go- so you can either continue being a dick or you can drop it also! By chance you wouldn't be from or in Massachusetts would you?

Uhhh... First of all, I really don't think anyone was being a dick about your mistake. It was corrected, we acknowledged it was autocorrect, and everyone moved on. Then all of a sudden you come back all offended and start being a dick to everyone else. Kind of sounds like you're the only one on here stressed right now, bub.

Did I miss something?

Do I have to spell every single thing out for you. Your daily wine drinker doesn't drink wine to get tipsy off of it. They generally drink it with dinner or the like. I drank plenty in my life, and I enjoy it much more than weed. However, if you seriously need to be drinking multiple times every single week than YOU need to get your priorities straight.

Help.

You should find some.

Uhhh... First of all, I really don't think anyone was being a dick about your mistake. It was corrected, we acknowledged it was autocorrect, and everyone moved on. Then all of a sudden you come back all offended and start being a dick to everyone else. Kind of sounds like you're the only one on here stressed right now, bub.

Did I miss something?

Actually you did sir, I was a dick (& I apologize for that) but I was directing my comments to any who kept posting about my spelling mistake! Then you and I joked a little and then the dude who started it came back and kept it going. I've apologized, admitted I was a dick and moved on, may be we all should just drop it let cooler heads prevail? Ok bub?

Anybody got bets on what post this will be locked on? Winner gets 10 virtual SDN points. Collect 100 and automatically get 1 point added to your next MCAT score. Don't miss out!!

90% of med students are alcoholics by this definition.

Actually you did sir, I was a dick (& I apologize for that) but I was directing my comments to any who kept posting about my spelling mistake! Then you and I joked a little and then the dude who started it came back and kept it going. I've apologized, admitted I was a dick and moved on, may be we all should just drop it let cooler heads prevail? Ok bub?

That was actually directed toward another user that made the same mistake later, but okay, I guess we can all move on with our lives now that another episode of the soap opera that is SDN has concluded.

Do I have to spell every single thing out for you. Your daily wine drinker doesn't drink wine to get tipsy off of it. They generally drink it with dinner or the like. I drank plenty in my life, and I enjoy it much more than weed. However, if you seriously need to be drinking multiple times every single week than YOU need to get your priorities straight.

I like to have a beer while watching TV. Oh god, looks like I need some AA help.

Now that I've apologized I hope we can move on and get this post I've derailed back on track

I think that even if weed becomes legal on a federal level people like doctors nurses police firefighters etc that are involved in life and death decisions will not be allowed to partake-well at least in our lifetimes.

Now that I've apologized I hope we can move on and get this post I've derailed back on track

I think that even if weed becomes legal on a federal level people like doctors nurses police firefighters etc that are involved in life and death decisions will not be allowed to partake-well at least in our lifetimes.

I think it would be treated like alcohol at that point. Show up high, fired. On call and you smoke, get called in, fired. Thats a little extreme but I could see it going that way.

Yeah I mean I have a beer twice a week or so....I guess I need AA...I'm mad at myself....

I'm not a med student or a drinker(not that I think it's wrong or anything it's just personal preference), but for those who are in med school- is there alot of drinking, compared to say undergrad as a baseline. I guess the way I imagined it there is very little drinking in grad schools. But I have no clue!

I'm not a med student or a drinker(not that I think it's wrong or anything it's just personal preference), but for those who are in med school- is there alot of drinking, compared to say undergrad as a baseline. I guess the way I imagined it there is very little drinking in grad schools. But I have no clue!

My class and I have already gotten together a couple times and we havent even started school. We've had beer on each occasion. You just have to know not to cross the limit and be in control of yourself. Many people in med school drink. They just do it responsibly...atleast for the most part.

Is this directed at me? I didn't know I kept it going.

Lol wtf? please don't be serious

off topic, but......it seems like there is plenty of drinking in medical school. And I go out with the residents and younger attendings I work with occasionally, and we drink heavily. The difference between medical school and undergrad is that, I would imagine, most people know how to hold their liquor by the time they get to medical school.

off topic, but......it seems like there is plenty of drinking in medical school. And I go out with the residents and younger attendings I work with occasionally, and we drink heavily. The difference between medical school and undergrad is that, I would imagine, most people know how to hold their liquor by the time they get to medical school.

"most"

though I will agree, drinking with other med students is probably more fun than in college, because of the fact that people are more aware of their tolerances and don't wind up pukey messes you have to take care of.

If you're defining an "alcoholic" as someone who has alcoholism, know that alcoholism is distinct from "drinking multimes every times every single week" or just a pattern of drinking more than whatever you personally think is an appropriate amount; it's a physical and mental dependance on alcohol.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcoholism/DS00340/DSECTION=symptoms

Anybody got bets on what post this will be locked on? Winner gets 10 virtual SDN points. Collect 100 and automatically get 1 point added to your next MCAT score. Don't miss out!!

Is it odd that I first read that as 10 virtual SDN joints? Considering the thread, I guess not :laugh::laugh:

I do not understand the outrage about medical marijauna.

Marinol, which is synthetic THC, which I was formerly prescribed and took due to nausea and vomiting due to severe gastroparesis, at times was much more intense than actual marijuana.

The medication relieved me of debilitating nausea and pain at the time.

I would never recommend smoking marijuana, as the substance is combustible and you are essentially inhaling burning debris. Use a vaporizer instead, since you can inhale and titrate.

"most"

though I will agree, drinking with other med students is probably more fun than in college, because of the fact that people are more aware of their tolerances and don't wind up pukey messes you have to take care of.

And if that happens, people will never stop talking about it.

children, don't ruin a potentially valuable discussion by getting all snippy with each other.

things like drug use are called personal choices for a reason - each one of you has to decide for yourself what the correct answer for you is. there definitely are potential professional considerations, but yes, there are doctors who smoke pot and do other drugs.

med students and doctors are people too, equally prone to making good or bad choices as the rest of the population. maybe some with the education know more about their responsible limits and follow those. maybe some with the education know more about their physiological limits and drink/use more because how far things can be taken before damage is irreversible.