Medical Marijuana card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceeesemanface

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I had a quick question regarding Marijauna and medical schools.

First and foremost, before you rip me apart, I have not smoked marijuana in nearly 5 years, so any current use is not an issue.

When I was 18, I got a medical marijuana card for my 3 herniated disks, and my 2 ruptured disks (My back hates me). I smoked for about 5 months, then stopped when I needed a job, and haven't done it since.

I was curious if medical schools can see my expired card from '08. Will this affect me when I try to become board certified? Again, I'll pass any kind of test (Hair, Urine, whatever) because I am not/and will not use marijauna again.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wondered this. Does marijuana actually alleviate the pain for a prolonged period of time? Or is it only for the 1-2 hours you are high and then you have to smoke again?

So I assume you're in CA then?

I very seriously doubt it will ever come up. I know medical students/residents/physicians who smoke, legally and illegally, and have not had any issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always wondered this. Does marijuana actually alleviate the pain for a prolonged period of time? Or is it only for the 1-2 hours you are high and then you have to smoke again?
It only worked while I was high, which made it impractical for everything except sleeping. However, Marijuana is a drug that affects people in vastly different ways, so that might not always hold true.

I'm not sure what the legalities surrounding a medical marjuana card and patient privacy laws are... but even if adcoms see it, I don't see why they would hold it against you since you obtained it as part of your prescribed treatment.
I dunno, after working in the ER for a while, I would not want to admit to an MJ card to anyone I was trying to impress in medicine.