"Medical" Marijuana in Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Such a joke. Who are the idiot legislators that have allowed "medical" marijuana in Washington state? Look at the back of one of the local weekly papers; "You're Eligible" they say. Funny, no clinics listing "Your're Eligible" for beta blockers, antibiotics, dialysis. Nope, that's because those things require MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT. Listen, just admit you want to get high, don't try to pass your need to get wasted as a medical condition!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• photo-2.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 118
Likely won't be long before my state has it as well.

I cannot see myself ever prescribing it.

Let's do the same thing with opioids - just give pts a card, they go to the pharmacy and buy whatever pain pills they want, and take it however they want.

What worries me is, now that it is "medical", it's considered "healthcare". How can any good nanny state deny providing for people in need of medication?

Members don't see this ad :)
their argument for the "carte blanche" approach is that rarely do you hear of marijuana over-doses....

on the flip side

marijuana related motor vehicle accidents with death resulting has seen a big increase in Maine since marijuana becamse easier/legal to obtain.

I just cannot find credible science to back up smoking pot for any medical condition. I understand we will find a cannabinoid receptor analogue on the continuum of treating pain at some point, but it will not be from smoking pot.

I do not believe at this time there is such thing as "medical" marijuana.
That being said, the downside is not as bad as opiates as far as impairment and side effects. I've never smoked and never tried any opiate, so I cannot speak from personal experience.

My favorite was a patient who came in and stated (after he flunked his whiz quiz)
"What are you going to do when pot is legal nationwide? Then you will HAVE TO GIVE ME MY MEDS."

I told him he still would not get meds, I do not give meds to people who abuse ETOH either even though it is perfectly legal to be drunk.

there is growing data to show that cannabinoid systems do play a role in pain modulation...

that is why we should create cannabinoids that target those receptors without the huge risks/issues associated with street drugs..

why can't we have Sativa in the US when it is available in Canada???

I have a few patients on marinol (which does not have all the active ingredients) for chronic abdominal pain with good success...

there is growing data to show that cannabinoid systems do play a role in pain modulation...

that is why we should create cannabinoids that target those receptors without the huge risks/issues associated with street drugs..

why can't we have Sativa in the US when it is available in Canada???

I have a few patients on marinol (which does not have all the active ingredients) for chronic abdominal pain with good success...

I believe marijuana does have its role in pain and nausea treatment. The question is how do you determine the legit user (chemo patient) from your average street druggie?

when i was in med school we did THC studies on chemo patients... for nausea:

1) we couldn't use smoked marijuana because these patients are immunocompromised and would often inhale spores that would cause all kinds of weird fungal pneumonias...

2) over 60% of the patients developed worsening nausea and opted out of the study

3) after 2 months, only about 10% still were interested on staying on THC...

the study never got published because, at the time, the company supporting the research was not happy with the outcomes - and the PI chose not to publish because he had another grant for a different drug from the same company and didn't want to piss them off...

the legitimate user is the one who
1) gets actual analgesia (not anxiolysis)
2) is reliable
3) follows medical recommendations and is compliant
4) has been tried on a variety of medications and has failed
5) isn't also on other controlled substances...

therefore, very few patients....

ALSO --- this kills me, since my state passed the medical marijuana law, i have had quite a few patients with a variety of injuries who come requesting marijuana for their pain...

i had a lady with shoulder pain - exam consistent with RTC tear... she refused MRI (because she wasn't interested in surgery), she refused PT (because that will only make it hurt mort), she refuses NSAIDS (because she heard they can injur the liver/kidney), she refuses all other modalities, she states narcotics don't work (but couldn't explain who prescribed them for her).... all she wanted was MJ for her pain... argh...

Her office looks like a brothel[/QUOTE]

How would you know what a brothel looks like:laugh:

Her office looks like a brothel

How would you know what a brothel looks like:laugh:[/QUOTE]

I knew I set myself up for that one. Hmm I've seen them in the movies.

Anyway, I know several doctors in LA, and this woman is a sort of like a celebrity there. She is known as the marijuana doctor. She has been on the local news many times. She even is a singer and has an album out

How would you know what a brothel looks like:laugh:

I knew I set myself up for that one. Hmm I've seen them in the movies.

Anyway, I know several doctors in LA, and this woman is a sort of like a celebrity there. She is known as the marijuana doctor. She has been on the local news many times. She even is a singer and has an album out[/QUOTE]

At least she's not actually in your specialty. Maybe this is why I keep hearing the FM is popular out West.

Her again?
I think you have a crush on her:)
Her office looks like a brothel

I agree, though you don't see it on the front page. Then neither do you see her office hours there:
You can come in ANYTIME for a walk-in visit:
Monday - Friday from 1pm - 7pm and Saturday from 4pm - 7pm at
4864 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles 90029. No appointment is necessary.

Optional private VIP appointments are available ANY DAY and at ANYTIME with no wait time and a private waiting room for a total of $225.
Walk-ins?

And what the hell is a private waiting room, with no wait time?

I agree, though you don't see it on the front page. Then neither do you see her office hours there:

Walk-ins?

And what the hell is a private waiting room, with no wait time?

it's the room where you have to buy a bottle of champagne