Medical Microbiology .. anyone majoring in this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching my major to this when i transfer next year. It seems pretty cool. You do research and classes in the med school, with the med school faculty, and i guess basically learn all the stuff about how disease works. Anyone have any experience?

edit: http://www.medmicro.wisc.edu/department/index.html

Members don't see this ad.

i was thinking microbiology, haven't heard of medical microbiology.

I was a microbiology major in undergrad and now research lyme disease. I think diseases are the most interesting things ever. But then again I am pretty dorky at times :D

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds interesting, I've never heard of this before. I would say with the limited info you gave here it sounds good. :)

Ross434 said:
I'm thinking of switching my major to this when i transfer next year. It seems pretty cool. You do research and classes in the med school, with the med school faculty, and i guess basically learn all the stuff about how disease works. Anyone have any experience?

I'm a Microbiology major with a medical and public health concentration. I've never heard of a Medical Micro major (probably because my undergrad doesn't have an associated medical school), but I have taken a class called medical microbiology. It was pretty intense; the whole class was always in there the entire lab period both days plus again on Friday afternoons every week. We did lots of cultures, lab tests and several unknowns where we would get a bacterium and need to figure out what it was using the tests. We also learned about the natural microflora of the body, specialized media and various pathogens. It was kind of fun though, you had to get immunizations before the class and you always had to wear a labcoat, so it made me feel like a scientist. :) (I'm a dork I know) I've also taken Immunology and Serology, which it sounds like you would also learn. I say go for it.

Ross434 said:

My major is microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics. I definitely loved the subjects and learned a lot more than I expected. I also became very interested in immunology and am currently doing research in tumor immunology. However, it killed my gpa and my chances of getting into med school. If you think you can handle it and get decent grades, then definitely go for it.

:thumbup: sounds like a great program, I'm jealous!