Medical officer positions and GS grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorkaholicsAnon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at some job listings on USAJOBS. some say GS-13 level, some GS-14, some GS-15. And some even say all 3, and make me choose which one(s) i want to apply for.

What sort of duties/level of qualification correspond to each?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at some job listings on USAJOBS. some say GS-13 level, some GS-14, some GS-15. And some even say all 3, and make me choose which one(s) i want to apply for.

The OPM system for evaluating resumes is convoluted and archaic. The first step is for the OPM or CPO (civilian personnel office in the Army) to first determine if you are qualified. This first step is done by a very low level clerk just reading your resume matching words. Only then does it go to the actual hiring authority.

The trick is to write your resume so that it sounds exactly like the job description and exaggerate up to the limits of reality. For MD/DO positions with combined grades like GS13-15, the difference is often years of experience or amount of supervision of others. So, every LPN or assistant you gave an order to in your life, count as supervisory capabilities.

The Army has changed many positions to a broader classifications, which have slightly different rules. I haven't been involved in gov't hiring for awhile and not for physicians, so my info might be somewhat dated.

Thanks that's very helpful guidance.

What sort of level of responsibilities corresponds to like GS-13 or GS-14?

Would that be something a fresh residency grad can handle?

after getting out I had 1 year to kill prior to starting residency...I basically worked as a GMO in an outpatient clinic next to a large MEDCEN..they paid me as a GS 14 step 4.....I even got a 20k+ sign on bonus as well as relocation allowance...the job was cake and the hours were a joke..it was a nice way to make some extra dough prior to the lean years of residency:thumbdown: good luck