Medical Oncology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lamount

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am probably getting way ahead of myself here, but I was wondering if there was any path from Radiation Oncology to Medical Oncology short of doing a residency in Internal Medicine. I think it would be interesting to be double boarded in RO and medical oncology.

Members don't see this ad.

There are no shortcuts to getting boarded in Med Onc in the U.S. You need to do IM and fellowship. The only overlap would be your intern year.

I am probably getting way ahead of myself here, but I was wondering if there was any path from Radiation Oncology to Medical Oncology short of doing a residency in Internal Medicine. I think it would be interesting to be double boarded in RO and medical oncology.

Members don't see this ad :)
To quote from the previous thread:

clinonc said:
I am a clinical oncologist in the UK. We do the US equivalent of an intern year, then three years of internal medicine, then five years of oncology, with or without a further 2-3 years of a research degree according to interest (technical RT, lab, running clinicL studies). It depends on the centre, and certainly in London the tendency is for us increasingly to act as rad oncs, but in much of the UK we provide a complete non-surgical service, ie radical RT, palliative RT and all systemic therapies. My belief is that this model works well, especially in diseases like metastatic breast cancer where understanding how to integrate treatments often gives the patient a better experience. I think that understanding the natural history of the disease is more important than focussing on the modality (and let's face it, RT is harder than most chemotherapy). We have medoncs too; they do four years of fellowship after IM and are often more research oriented.

Just pick one. I know as medical student the idea of having more comprehensive cancer knowledge sounds nice, but it doesn't make sense the way medicine is practiced in the US. There aren't jobs looking for someone to do both and spending extra years of life just to be more comfortable with the other side isn't worth it.