Medical Oncology for DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chibucks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've found myself becoming increasingly interested in medical oncology...is this a relatively open field to DOs? It goes without saying that a good application is a must but assuming that falls into place do DOs have a shot? I'm only an MS1 so the 2021 merger will play a role also. I have the medical specialty guide from the AMA which contains FREIDA information just wanted to ask on here too. Any information is much appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've found myself becoming increasingly interested in medical oncology...is this a relatively open field to DOs? It goes without saying that a good application is a must but assuming that falls into place do DOs have a shot? I'm only an MS1 so the 2021 merger will play a role also. I have the medical specialty guide from the AMA which contains FREIDA information just wanted to ask on here too. Any information is much appreciated thanks!

It's doable. You're not gonna be at Dana Farber, MD Anderson or Sloan Kettering but you can find a spot in Heme-Onc in a low or mid tier institution pretty readily. Take Step 1, go to a University based IM program, do well and get good letters/research.

Reactions: 3 users
It's doable. You're not gonna be at Dana Farber, MD Anderson or Sloan Kettering but you can find a spot in Heme-Onc in a low or mid tier institution pretty readily. Take Step 1, go to a University based IM program, do well and get good letters/research.

Is research a must? I haven't done any but have opportunities at my school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Is research a must? I haven't done any but have opportunities at my school

I think getting involved in research will help even if you decide medical oncology isn't for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 2 users

Agreed. I was shocked to find out that a number of graduates from my school currently work at Sloan Kettering, in oncology and radiology no less. Their training was done elsewhere, of course, but it was weird seeing DOs in that giant list of MD and PhDs.

Reactions: 1 user