Medical Options In the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkgirl15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'll start this off by saying I am in a unique spot and this is a long story but a good one. Back in 2010 I was accepted into the US Naval Academy and I went there with the plan to become a Flight Surgeon but I quickly realized I wasn't the smartest person there and honestly, I was mentally done with the place on the 3rd day of Plebe Summer when they told me that my eyes were too poor for any aviation job USNA had to offer me. Fast forward 3 years and I was kicked out. My grades were super poor and I wasn't even sent to the Fleet to pay off a large bill I had accumulated. Going home wasn't exactly an option so I went to the nearest big city and worked through college and got a BA and BS in English and Secondary Education and started to teach.
But I was a horrible teacher and go fired. Not once, but twice.
So now here I am. Finally able to go back into the Navy to pay off my debt and hopefully redo what I wanted to do and become a doctor or close.
I know it's stupid but it was my dream and even now, it kind of is.
I know the advancement rate for HM is atrocious but is there any way for me to make advancement quicker or another good rate to do if I want to apply for the Enlisted to Physician program or HCSP Scholarship. I'm honestly stuck between Mental Health, Cardiology, and Dentistry (Yes I know I'm weird I like teeth. I woke up when my wisdom teeth were being taken out and I thought it was so cool, granted I was on pain killers but still I thought the teeth were awesome and huge but awesome)

Anyway, if anyone has been in a similar situation, I'd love to get your opinion and advice. I go to MEPS tomorrow and I just found this page which sucks but better late than never.

Members don't see this ad.

So you are officially in the Navy? Like you took the oath and you're an enlisted? And if so did you sign a contract for Corpsman specifically? Or do you still have that decision to make?

Don't go to MEPS. You have a BA. Go to an accelerated BSN program and then decide whether to come back in. You could even end up a NP. You've struggled these past few years. I don't think you have any idea what it takes to get into med school. There are no secret shortcuts via the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are officially in the Navy? Like you took the oath and you're an enlisted? And if so did you sign a contract for Corpsman specifically? Or do you still have that decision to make?
I make that decision tomorrow.

I make that decision tomorrow.
It seems like you're still trying to find a lot of information about your potential career path. Once you sign the contract it is the most binding contract in the world: you are a Corpsman for 5 years unless you get a packet accepted for some other training program, which is the l Navy's decision rather than yours. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad decision, I think the enlisted Navy can be a good career for some people, but make sure you know what you're doing because once you sign up there's no way out. Just FYI.

Last edited:
It seems like you're still trying to find a lot of information about your potential career path. Once you sign the contract it is the most binding contract in the world: you are a Corpsman for 5 years unless you get a packet accepted for some other training program, which is the l Navy's decision rather than yours. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad decision, I think the enlisted Navy can be a good career for some people, but make sure you know what you're doing because once you sign up there's no way out. Just FYI.
Thanks I know and I’m trying to make a solid decision even if HM isn’t open.

Thanks I know and I’m trying to make a solid decision even if HM isn’t open.
Some questions:
1) What is your GPA, based on all of your grades averaged together? What was your GPA in your last year of college?
2). What is your age?
3) What college did you graduate from (or what tier of college, if you don't want to give a name)
4). How much money do you owe to the government? How much do you owe in student loans? Any other debt?
5) Have you taken any premedical courses? Have you passed any?
6) What has the Navy offered you financially? Why do you think you will be able to pay back your debt?
7) Would you be OK with spending 4-5 years just being enlisted, I'd those are the cards you are dealt?
8) Why the Navy rather than another service? Have you spoken to any other service's recruiters?

Last edited:
Hi I'll start this off by saying I am in a unique spot and this is a long story but a good one. Back in 2010 I was accepted into the US Naval Academy and I went there with the plan to become a Flight Surgeon but I quickly realized I wasn't the smartest person there and honestly, I was mentally done with the place on the 3rd day of Plebe Summer when they told me that my eyes were too poor for any aviation job USNA had to offer me. Fast forward 3 years and I was kicked out. My grades were super poor and I wasn't even sent to the Fleet to pay off a large bill I had accumulated. Going home wasn't exactly an option so I went to the nearest big city and worked through college and got a BA and BS in English and Secondary Education and started to teach.
But I was a horrible teacher and go fired. Not once, but twice.
So now here I am. Finally able to go back into the Navy to pay off my debt and hopefully redo what I wanted to do and become a doctor or close.
I know it's stupid but it was my dream and even now, it kind of is.
I know the advancement rate for HM is atrocious but is there any way for me to make advancement quicker or another good rate to do if I want to apply for the Enlisted to Physician program or HCSP Scholarship. I'm honestly stuck between Mental Health, Cardiology, and Dentistry (Yes I know I'm weird I like teeth. I woke up when my wisdom teeth were being taken out and I thought it was so cool, granted I was on pain killers but still I thought the teeth were awesome and huge but awesome)

Anyway, if anyone has been in a similar situation, I'd love to get your opinion and advice. I go to MEPS tomorrow and I just found this page which sucks but better late than never.

Do you still have debt from your USNA Academy time? Are you sure they are allowing you to serve as enlisted to eliminate that debt? Is it in your contract? I have read the US code regarding ROTC/Military Academy debt and there are specific restrictions about enlisting to pay off that debt rather than actually paying it back unless that is the option granted when you are released from ROTC/Academy. Or, are you using your enlisted income to pay back the debt?

Good luck with your dream and the path to get there.

Some questions:
1) What is your GPA, based on all of your grades averaged together? What was your GPA in your last year of college? 3.23, 3.60
2). What is your age? 26
3) What college did you graduate from (or what tier of college, if you don't want to give a name) Tier 2
4). How much money do you owe to the government? How much do you owe in student loans? Any other debt? $130,000; $15,00; Yes
5) Have you taken any premedical courses? Have you passed any? Yes, Yes, English, Human Growth & Development, Physics
6) What has the Navy offered you financially? Why do you think you will be able to pay back your debt? 2 years of service in lieu of $130,000 of debt
7) Would you be OK with spending 4-5 years just being enlisted, I'd those are the cards you are dealt? Yes
8) Why the Navy rather than another service? Have you spoken to any other service's recruiters?
Yes, Navy offered me the best deal

6) What has the Navy offered you financially? Why do you think you will be able to pay back your debt? 2 years of service in lieu of $130,000 of debt. Yes, Navy offered me the best deal
I suspect you've tried numerous other options for relief of this debt. You've got a plan with decision points along the way. Get some of the pre-professional classes done and shadow or seek mentorship from a doctor, PA, nurse, or other professional, even non medical. Keep your options open for career choice while moving toward your dream medical specialty.