medical practice business books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foot meister

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm looking to read some books on the medical business world. I read on one of the threads that when searching for a job coming out of podiatry school that its good to have knowledge of the business side of the system (that way no one can rip you off). I haven't found any threads that have good information on which books I could read that are specifically on this type of business. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any books. There are practice management clubs and societies you can refer to but mostly it's on-the-job training (at least it has been for me and every practice owner I've ever known). Flying by the seat of our pantaloons. Not really the answer you were hoping for, I'm guessing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice. I could've used those references back when I was getting started. Have you read them both?
Yes. Read both and a whole lot of others. I really like the Australian one as its a good story and lots of practical pearls - just wish there was a version for the States! - that's probably why its good in combination with the 31 1/2 book which is more specific.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Read both and a whole lot of others. I really like the Australian one as its a good story and lots of practical pearls - just wish there was a version for the States! - that's probably why its good in combination with the 31 1/2 book which is more specific.

I've always had to resort to asking and observing colleagues. It's nice that someone finally wrote some of this stuff down.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know of any books. There are practice management clubs and societies you can refer to but mostly it's on-the-job training (at least it has been for me and every practice owner I've ever known). Flying by the seat of our pantaloons. Not really the answer you were hoping for, I'm guessing.

I respect Natch and always enjoy his comments. But please be very wary of most if not all of the Podiatric practice management organizations. One is or was lead by a scam artist, followed by a doctor telling YOU how to make money, even though he filed bankruptcy.

Those organizations aren't about qualify of care, but are all about seeing how much crap you can sell to a patient and how you can bill lots of money for very questionable products and procedures.

If you always wanted to be a used car salemsan, wear a pinky ring and only care about money vs quality of care, those organizations are for you.

Practice honestly and ethically and present yourself professionally and always practice within your limitations. Know what you don't know. That alone will help you succeed. And take some business courses at a local well respected college or university. You will learn about business without the sleaze factor.

Reactions: 3 users