• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
May 3, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
For those of you who completed Medical Psychology training and are prescribers. Can you share what is the average starting salary? I am trying to figure out if its worth for me to move out of a well-paid Clinical Psychology job that I like.

May 3, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I live close to two prescribing states: New Mexico and Louisiana. But since I will be getting my first RxP license, I could go to any of the five states if there was a good position.

About the Ads

medium rare

Psychologist & Psych NP
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I live close to two prescribing states: New Mexico and Louisiana. But since I will be getting my first RxP license, I could go to any of the five states if there was a good position.
It depends on the job and the specifics of course, but you shouldn’t settle for less than what Psych NPs are making in the area. You can make an argument for more given your training but if it’s a salaried job, the bean counters will consider you a mid-level provider and want to pay you accordingly. Psych NPs have independent practice in most RxP states so comparable salary data should be relatively easy to find.

And keep in mind, virtually all salaried positions will only want you to prescribe (no therapy and probably no testing) so be prepared for that.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.