Medical Question #3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoeDaMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Your application clearly states that you have been a resident of California/New York/ STATE X for ur entire life. How come you are applying to Texas/Michigan/STATE Z (our state) that you have never been to?"

Follow up: "Your application shows that you have applied to approximately 30 schools, does this imply that you don't have a school in mind as ur first choice? By looking at your application, it seems to indicate that you would be happy to go to any school that you get in? So our school may not be your primary choice? Why should we accept you, when you may not even attend our school?"

replies/comments/satires welcome

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Where, when did this question arise from?

Was it an interview question? A email correspondence? what? Just wonderin'....

It's interesting....

My response for Question 1: "Well, since I have lived in (Pennsylvania in my case) all my life, I would like to live in a new state and gain some new experiences that I wouldn't if I lived in Pennsylvania."

My response for Question 2: "While I did apply to many schools, I do have (fill in the blank) school as my first choice. I applied to so many schools because medical school admissions are so difficult and risky, you can not be sure you will be accepted anywhere, and I applied to so many schools to maximize my chances of becoming a doctor."

Just my ideas on how to answer those questions. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
this question should not apply to us though, right? at the bottom of the application it says that schools do not get a list of where you apply to. however, if we need to send our printouts directly to the schools (as yale asks) what should we do? what if we just trim our list down to 4 to the schools we have to apply directly to, and then beef that number up once amcas gets up and running.

DOtobe: you've got the answers. Nice! :D

drago: just omit that page completely if you have to send in a paper AMCAS. Cut off the last page after your transcripts or whatever immediately precedes the list of schools and photocopy the part of the page you have left (to make it a full page), replace the cut page with the photocopy, and send that in. AMCAS doesn't send the list of schools you applied to to med schools, so I don't feel you should be obligated to send such a list to Yale, since they wouldn't get it anyway (unless, of course, they ask for it).

Reply to DOtobe?

However Sir/or MAdam,

Your reply really does not make sense, because if you go to your own state schools. You would in fact be paying so much less in tuition? Why pay 30 grand a year when you can pay far less?

Ur Rebuttal sir/mada? :D

MoeDaMan,
You got me there... :eek:

At least I attempted to answer your questions! :D

Does anybody else have any possible answers to MoeDaMan's questions?

Originally posted by MoeDaMan:
•Reply to DOtobe?

However Sir/or MAdam,

Your reply really does not make sense, because if you go to your own state schools. You would in fact be paying so much less in tuition? Why pay 30 grand a year when you can pay far less?

Ur Rebuttal sir/mada? :D

Tag up, DO!

Ahem...

Well, that would be a problem if money were everything. While I, of course, am concerned about how much debt I'll accrue in medical school, I'm confident that I'll be able to find financial aid. My concern is first for getting into medical school so that I can become a doctor. While financially, it would be nice to attend my state school, cost is not my first priority.

Nova

ehem :D

Tag team huh?

Well good job Dotobe and goodjob Nova...

that was a good response,

I personally would tackle the question like this. I would give Dotobe's response as well, BUT when confronted my rebuttal...this is what I would reply....

I feel there are two responses, one if your being interviewed by two different kinds of institutions: private and public.

Rebuttal to Public University:

"Ehem, well yes that is true, however, since your school is a public school after a period of time I can become a resident of your wonderful state and pay the subsidized tuition :D" (gosh I am good)...

take for example, I used to be a resident of new york, after paying a rip off price of 20 grand for my first year at ucla, I then payed 4 grand each year...talk about the wonders of public education :D FURTHERMORE, even though your school is a public school which is more difficult to get into due to preference of in-state residents. I'd rather go to a public school in another state rather than a private school, simply because after the first year or so I will probably pay less tuition. I am no rich white boy, and money is an issue for me :D hehehe

(side note, different states have different residency rules, takes a year in california to become a resident and 90 days in oregon. Learn the facts, and burn ur interviewer :D

Now rebuttal to private school:

" You can't even ask me that question, cuz even if you were a resident of ur state or not it still wouldnt matter cuz I'd be paying the same ****." (gosh I am evil)... :D