Medical Receptionist-Experience???

elizams17

Apr 24, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    I have a year of Front Desk Experience and about 2 years of experience working in retail. The retail experience was in a small shop where I was the Front Desk attendant as well as a bridal consultant. I have multiple experiences volunteer at a retirement home, with children that have down syndrome, and abused mothers with their children. I'm trying to get a job as a Medical office receptionist, but they all ask for at least two years experience in a medical office setting. If you need experience for just the entry level position how are you supposed to get experience???

music2doc

Student of Mad Doctoring
    7+ Year Member
    Jan 28, 2011
    1. Medical Student
      I have a year of Front Desk Experience and about 2 years of experience working in retail. The retail experience was in a small shop where I was the Front Desk attendant as well as a bridal consultant. I have multiple experiences volunteer at a retirement home, with children that have down syndrome, and abused mothers with their children. I'm trying to get a job as a Medical office receptionist, but they all ask for at least two years experience in a medical office setting. If you need experience for just the entry level position how are you supposed to get experience???

Related work experience and/or training (e.g., as an MA).

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 4, 2006
      The Other Side of the Portal
      1. Attending Physician
        Most volunteer to get clinical experience rather than get a job. What is learned while volunteering can eventually translate into "Experience" for job hunting purposes.

Alternatively, one might take a quick course at a local community college and get certified as a medical assistant, phlebotomist, CNA, etc.

In what way did you interact with clients in the retirement home? Is there any chance you could work with sicker seniors in a skilled level nursing home or Alzheimer's unit?

Was your volunteer experience with the children having Down Syndrome more recreational or educational, or was it therapeutic somehow?

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.