Medical reference book suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueCee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, so feel free to move it to a better place ...

I just started working as a research assistant at a big hospital, and never having taken biology/anatomy and physiology, I feel a little lost with all of the medical terminology floating around me. I was taught everything I need to know to get my job done, but I'm feeling curious about the other things. while I do like google, it would be nice to have a reference book or something to turn to as well.

Any suggestions? Is there a spark notes on human anatomy and diseases or something?

Thanks,
QC

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, so feel free to move it to a better place ...

I just started working as a research assistant at a big hospital, and never having taken biology/anatomy and physiology, I feel a little lost with all of the medical terminology floating around me. I was taught everything I need to know to get my job done, but I'm feeling curious about the other things. while I do like google, it would be nice to have a reference book or something to turn to as well.

Any suggestions? Is there a spark notes on human anatomy and diseases or something?

Thanks,
QC

Sounds like a pocket medical dictionary might be the right pick. Go to a bookstore and find one that you like. If you have a smartphone, downloading an app might be convenient. I don't know anyone who actually has a medical dictionary, and I really prefer to use google for random terms.

Sounds like a pocket medical dictionary might be the right pick. Go to a bookstore and find one that you like. If you have a smartphone, downloading an app might be convenient. I don't know anyone who actually has a medical dictionary, and I really prefer to use google for random terms.

I have a medical dictionary. Most expensive paperweight I ever owned.

Wikipedia. I am completely serious. It is the best source for easy to understand, quick, explainations for pretty much anything you might run across. If you're part of a large university hospitals, you also probably have access to www.uptodate.com which is what medical professionals use for reference. I'm not sure how accessibel it would be for someone with no medical training.