Medical related Jobs/Volunteer work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoshistr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of positions can I work at that will help me get into medical school?
I have considered EMT, medical billing, and pharmacy positions, but specifically what jobs are good to work in before applying to medical school? (I have my bachelor's in Biology and plan on working rather than volunteering to pay off some of the loans but you can also recommend volunteer positions I am qualified for.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to, pick a job where you're actually involved in patient care. EMT is the best of the three you mentioned. Don't do medical billing. Pharm tech can be good but you won't get as much clinical experience (though that depends on where you're working and what your job description is).

Having a job in the medical field (involving patient care) won't give you a leg up in the admissions process. It will only put you on a more level playing field with other competitive candidates.

You might also consider 1) medical scribe (follows a doc around and writes down history and exam as ellicited by the physician). 2) dietary aide at a nursing home. 3) hospital transporter. 4) Phlebotomist (draws blood from patients). 5) Medical Assistant/Receptionist in a private office. 5) Physical Therapy Assistant. The important consideration is lots of face time with sick people.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might also consider 1) medical scribe (follows a doc around and writes down history and exam as ellicited by the physician). 2) dietary aide at a nursing home. 3) hospital transporter. 4) Phlebotomist (draws blood from patients). 5) Medical Assistant/Receptionist in a private office. 5) Physical Therapy Assistant. The important consideration is lots of face time with sick people.

What exactly is required to become a medical scribe or dietary aide at a nursing home? Those two sound quite fun.

Most medical scribes are trained on the job, though I've heard in California you have to get certified somehow first. Dietary Aide is an entry level job and requires no training. You help the nursing home clients make food selections appropriate to their condition and do a fair amount of interacting with them. You also work in the cafeteria/kitchen between meals doing other tasks.

is it possible to become a medical assistant during your undergrad and use that as your clinical experience? say one is attending the university of washington and wanted to take classes at a local community college to become a medical assistant to help pay for undergrad and save for med school, is that feasible?

Medical assisting is mind-numbingly dull, but if you go the clinical MA route you can learn phlebotomy for cheap under a community college.

Hospitals pay more than ambulances/fire departments. ER Tech is boring, EMT is fun. EMT is harder to find a job for.

EMT = you have person contact w/ a patient for the duration of the ride, responsible for his/her life. If you can get on an ALS rig, it's awesome (as awesome as suburban EMS can be, anyway).

ER Tech = here, wipe down this bed and put a 12-lead on this patient. Once a week, you get to bag somebody if the RT feels bored.

I'll be having a gap year between college and med school. Would it be better for me to apply as a ER tech or EMT? Hopefully I'll get EMT certified in a summer course.. so technically I'll have ~10 months to work.

Does anyone know if for a ER tech if you are required to do any heavy lifting over 20 lbs? Reason why I ask is, I'm looking for health care jobs and volunteer positions with patient contact but I had a spinal fusion of my low back and can not lift more than 20-30 lbs, so its been difficult to find positions, like transport, PCA, or EMT where you are expected to be able to lift patients, which I cannot obviously!

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm planning on applying to less non-competitive PA programs (ie ones that have no standardized test requirement and want 200-500 hours of clinical experience!)

I know this is an older post but I have the option of working as a waitress or a home health care aide part time (still in college). I will be applying to podiatry school and possibly medical school soon and was wondering if becoming a health care aide will increase my chances of being accepted to school?

What kind of positions can I work at that will help me get into medical school?
I have considered EMT, medical billing, and pharmacy positions, but specifically what jobs are good to work in before applying to medical school? (I have my bachelor's in Biology and plan on working rather than volunteering to pay off some of the loans but you can also recommend volunteer positions I am qualified for.)

Thanks!

Ideally, I think the pharm tech job full-time coupled with a part-time EMT job would be best. Full-time EMS, particularly at the basic level, would be dull. It's not nearly as much of an emergency field as one thinks when looking from the outside in.

The tech job would give you better wages (probably), more stable hours, a better work environment, and the part-time EMS gig would give you supplemental income, clinical exposure, and a hobby.

Billing....ewww. boring!