Medical Residency in the UK/Ireland for Non EU/EEA National

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkalim

Figuring things out...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US Citizen wanting to complete my medical degree and training in the EU.

I want to gain dual citizenship within an EU country and live in Europe for the rest of my life. I don't ever intend to return to the US except for tourism purposes.

I've heard of the difficulties of a non EU/EEA citizen finding a residency/foundation programme spot in the UK.

Is this only true for England? Or for Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales as well?

And if anyone knows...how about for countries like Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, or the Nordics (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland)...still difficult to find residency spots as a non EU/EEA citizen?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a US Citizen wanting to complete my medical degree and training in the EU.

I want to gain dual citizenship within an EU country and live in Europe for the rest of my life. I don't ever intend to return to the US except for tourism purposes.

I've heard of the difficulties of a non EU/EEA citizen finding a residency/foundation programme spot in the UK.

Is this only true for England? Or for Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales as well?

And if anyone knows...how about for countries like Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, or the Nordics (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland)...still difficult to find residency spots as a non EU/EEA citizen?

Thanks in advance.

You are guaranteed a foundation programme spot in the UK if u are an international citizen as long as you study in the UK at a UK medical school (A100 programs). There is no difference between any of the countries of the UK in this regard.

I don't know about other european countries but many of those would require you to speak their language.

Also, your years in Europe studying medicine do not count for citizenship purposes. So spending 6 years studying medicine does not make you 6 years closer to gaining citizenship.

I know some countries make it easier if your parents or grandparents were from that country, but i'm not too knowledgeable on this.

You are guaranteed a foundation programme spot in the UK if u are an international citizen as long as you study in the UK at a UK medical school (A100 programs). There is no difference between any of the countries of the UK in this regard.

I don't know about other european countries but many of those would require you to speak their language.

Also, your years in Europe studying medicine do not count for citizenship purposes. So spending 6 years studying medicine does not make you 6 years closer to gaining citizenship.

I know some countries make it easier if your parents or grandparents were from that country, but i'm not too knowledgeable on this.

Really? But I've been reading on forums about the UK not having enough spots in the foundation programme for non EU/EEA nationals who completed their medical education in the UK, because the EU/EEA national grads don't even have enough spots...are you sure that's for international students, or just for the EU/EEA citizens?

Do you have a website that has that info so I can read up on it more?

And yeah, I'd learn the language fluently before attempting to even apply to medical school in the country. I'd start out studying here in the U.S., and then maybe do a master's degree in the country first so I can immerse myself even further into the language and culture.

And yeah I know :( That's why I'm trying to figure out how to complete all of my medical education and training as a non EU/EEA citizen, since I won't be able to gain citizenship until I actually work for several years as a doctor...Tier 2 visa I believe