Medical Scholars Program to Conduct Paid 2 month Research Related to Oncology for Medical Students 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truebeam1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Emory University School of Medicine Department of Radiation Oncology Medical Student Scholars Program​

Purpose

The Department of Radiation Oncology at Emory University strives to promote clinical, basic science, and medical physics research by attracting the best and brightest medical students to the field. To further this goal, the Department offers scholarships to medical students in U.S. medical schools with mentorship by a faculty member in our Department.

Amount​

Each scholarship recipient will receive $3,500: $1,500 to be disbursed as a monthly stipend for a two month period with the remaining $500 awarded at the conclusion of the project and submission of a final report to the Academic Committee and Department Faculty. Submission to a peer- reviewed journal is highly recommended.

Students who submit an approved abstract of their activity for a national oncology meeting, such as the ASTRO Annual Meeting, may receive a $1,000 additional travel award from the Department of Radiation Oncology.

Deadline​

The deadline for applications is June 11, 2021.

Eligibility​

Students of an accredited U.S. medical school are eligible for this award. The scholarship activity must focus on clinical oncology, medical physics or cancer biology and may involve either clinical or research activities. Acceptable clinical activities can range from a preceptorial relationship with a radiation oncologist to participate in clinical trials or any other appropriate variant of clinical research study. Acceptable research activities include all facets of oncology including diagnosis, treatment, and cancer prevention. Proposals will be classified as belonging to one of the following categories: Laboratory Research, Clinical Research, Medical Physics or Informatics. Each student must have a mentor who is a faculty member in our Department. The winner is required to work for any two consecutive months within one year of award at Emory University under the direct mentorship of one or more of our faculty members. Applicants should identify a faculty mentor at Emory based on a topic of their interest and contact the faculty member directly in order to design a research proposal. A list of faculty mentors can be found at: Department of Radiation Oncology | Emory School of Medicine

Application Format (length in parenthesis is just an approximate):

Indicate project title, mentor(s), and project category: Laboratory Research, Clinical Research, Medical Physics or Informatics.

A background section (¼ page).

A clear statement of the study’s aim(s) (¼ page).

Experimental hypotheses and design (¼ page).

Statement of applicant’s interests and career goals (¼ page).

Updated CV of applicant.

In addition:

A minimum of one-half inch margins must be used on all page borders.

All materials must be prepared in English, single spaced with normal spacing between letters and words, using Times New Roman font style (12 pt.).

Reporting Requirements​

Students will need to answer the following questions and turn in a brief final report within 30 days of the end of the activity, or the balance of the funding will be forfeited:

How did the scholarship help you to do a project? Would you have been able to do it without Emory funding?

Were the results of your work published in a journal or presented at a meeting? Do you have plans to do so?

Have you carried your research beyond the scope of your original proposal? Do you plan to?

Students who submit an approved abstract of their activity for a national oncology meeting may receive a $1,000 additional travel award from the Department of Radiation Oncology.

To Apply​

All applications must be e-mailed by: June 11, 2021. Applications will be reviewed by the Department’s Education/Resident Committee. They will be judged and selected based on the positive exposure to the field of oncology provided by the planned scholarship activity. Winners will be notified (tentatively) by June 30, 2021.

Send All Requested Documentation to:
Jolinta Lin, MD & Mohammad K Khan, MD Ph.D
Director & Co-Director of Medical Student Clerkship
Department of Radiation Oncology Emory University School of Medicine
Cc: Susan Brown (Clerkship Coordinator)
(susan.brown@emory.edu )

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ANNOUNCEMENT - Medical Scholar Award 2019.pdf
    136 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
UCLA needs to step up its game to try and attract the hot US MD student demographic. Remember when rad onc depts didn't have to throw $$ at US MD students?? Matching 0/3 will bring out that departmental bribe $$ i guess

Maybe next year we will see some Uber and Amazon GCs thrown in also?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
UCLA needs to step up its game to try and attract the hot US MD student demographic. Remember when rad onc depts didn't have to throw $$ at US MD students?? Matching 0/3 will bring out that departmental bribe $$ i guess

Maybe next year we will see some uber credits thrown in also?
Wow, they are recruiting med students now! My God, just let the field die already!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Emory University School of Medicine Department of Radiation Oncology Medical Student Scholars Program​

Purpose

The Department of Radiation Oncology at Emory University strives to promote clinical, basic science, and medical physics research by attracting the best and brightest medical students to the field. To further this goal, the Department offers scholarships to medical students in U.S. medical schools with mentorship by a faculty member in our Department.

Amount​

Each scholarship recipient will receive $3,500: $1,500 to be disbursed as a monthly stipend for a two month period with the remaining $500 awarded at the conclusion of the project and submission of a final report to the Academic Committee and Department Faculty. Submission to a peer- reviewed journal is highly recommended.

Students who submit an approved abstract of their activity for a national oncology meeting, such as the ASTRO Annual Meeting, may receive a $1,000 additional travel award from the Department of Radiation Oncology.

Deadline​

The deadline for applications is June 11, 2021.

Eligibility​

Students of an accredited U.S. medical school are eligible for this award. The scholarship activity must focus on clinical oncology, medical physics or cancer biology and may involve either clinical or research activities. Acceptable clinical activities can range from a preceptorial relationship with a radiation oncologist to participate in clinical trials or any other appropriate variant of clinical research study. Acceptable research activities include all facets of oncology including diagnosis, treatment, and cancer prevention. Proposals will be classified as belonging to one of the following categories: Laboratory Research, Clinical Research, Medical Physics or Informatics. Each student must have a mentor who is a faculty member in our Department. The winner is required to work for any two consecutive months within one year of award at Emory University under the direct mentorship of one or more of our faculty members. Applicants should identify a faculty mentor at Emory based on a topic of their interest and contact the faculty member directly in order to design a research proposal. A list of faculty mentors can be found at: www.emoryradiationoncology.org

Application Format (length in parenthesis is just an approximate):

Indicate project title, mentor(s), and project category: Laboratory Research, Clinical Research, Medical Physics or Informatics.

A background section (¼ page).

A clear statement of the study’s aim(s) (¼ page).

Experimental hypotheses and design (¼ page).

Statement of applicant’s interests and career goals (¼ page).

Updated CV of applicant.

In addition:

A minimum of one-half inch margins must be used on all page borders.

All materials must be prepared in English, single spaced with normal spacing between letters and words, using Times New Roman font style (12 pt.).

Reporting Requirements​

Students will need to answer the following questions and turn in a brief final report within 30 days of the end of the activity, or the balance of the funding will be forfeited:

How did the scholarship help you to do a project? Would you have been able to do it without Emory funding?

Were the results of your work published in a journal or presented at a meeting? Do you have plans to do so?

Have you carried your research beyond the scope of your original proposal? Do you plan to?

Students who submit an approved abstract of their activity for a national oncology meeting may receive a $1,000 additional travel award from the Department of Radiation Oncology.

To Apply​

All applications must be e-mailed by: June 11, 2021. Applications will be reviewed by the Department’s Education/Resident Committee. They will be judged and selected based on the positive exposure to the field of oncology provided by the planned scholarship activity. Winners will be notified (tentatively) by June 30, 2021.

Send All Requested Documentation to:
Jolinta Lin, MD & Mohammad K Khan, MD Ph.D
Director & Co-Director of Medical Student Clerkship
Department of Radiation Oncology Emory University School of Medicine
Cc: Susan Brown (Clerkship Coordinator)
(susan.brown@emory.edu )

Should probably focus on trying to not SOAP half of their next resident class......

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I have never heard of departments paying med students to do audition/research rotations before this year. Despiration is a stinky cologne. Cut some spots already, the market has spoken!

Reactions: 9 users
embarrassing

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
In the future are we going to see underserved minorities get a higher stipend? Perhaps Reshma Jagsi would push for twice as high stipends in female med students?

• Haha
In the future are we going to see underserved minorities get a higher stipend? Perhaps Reshma Jagsi would push for twice as high stipends in female med students?
Fortunately this already happens for lgbtq, URM, and low income students who need to do away rotations. Many hospitals have these programs for 1 month to recruit those students and they usually receive a stipend and housing which makes a huge difference.

that website is top notch
4kLGghY.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I remember, back in my day, medical students were supposed to pay for this out of pocket! We were supposed to do 3 of them! And we better know at least half the pCR rates from RTOG trials by heart if we even HOPED to get a letter from a junior faculty! And we better know what a gift it was that we were even allowed to set foot in the hallowed halls of the lead lined basement! And God help us, if we rotated with a thoracic faculty, what's the appropriate diagnostic test for the AP window nodes? Oh, you don't know? BANISHMENT! NO LETTER FOR YOU.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Origin of this joke:

I did my home rotation at the end of my M3 year. In my first week, it was a very slow day at the main campus clinic, and they also had some extra students show up for the day for a different requirement. They asked if anyone would volunteer to go out to a satellite that doesn't normally have students, and I said I'd go.

I get there, and it's also a slow day out there, too. So, the attending has the therapists show me around, then they bring me to his office.

And he proceeded to pimp me to death on GI. I explicitly remember him setting up a question on anal cancer and MMC, which I didn't know, and he proceeds to rip into me about how basic that is, about how I needed to read more, about how could I not know about studies showing the superiority of MMC, etc. I left thinking he was going to talk to the other faculty and my chances in this specialty were shot.

Unfortunately for me, if he ever said anything, I never heard about it. Why didn't you tank my application, random attending 6 years ago? I could be swatting away Hospitalist recruiter calls right now!

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Origin of this joke:

I did my home rotation at the end of my M3 year. In my first week, it was a very slow day at the main campus clinic, and they also had some extra students show up for the day for a different requirement. They asked if anyone would volunteer to go out to a satellite that doesn't normally have students, and I said I'd go.

I get there, and it's also a slow day out there, too. So, the attending has the therapists show me around, then they bring me to his office.

And he proceeded to pimp me to death on GI. I explicitly remember him setting up a question on anal cancer and MMC, which I didn't know, and he proceeds to rip into me about how basic that is, about how I needed to read more, about how could I not know about studies showing the superiority of MMC, etc. I left thinking he was going to talk to the other faculty and my chances in this specialty were shot.

Unfortunately for me, if he ever said anything, I never heard about it. Why didn't you tank my application, random attending 6 years ago? I could be swatting away Hospitalist recruiter calls right now!
Pretty sure the experience now is he takes you lunch and then begs you to rank them highly?

• Love
Origin of this joke:

Similar experience, my very first day as a med student on rad onc, the head and neck attending rips me a new one for not understanding that nasopharynx cancers don’t involve surgery. He was asking me about the data for adjuvant chemotherapy and told me I should know the Al-Saraff data. Later on that day, he scoffed the entire time as I attempted my first DFL exam.

Never in my dreams would I imagine him taking me out to eat and begging for me to rank their program.

• Haha
  • Angry
FWIW this program has been around for over 10 years but predominantly had been used by Emory Med Students. Program trying to increase outreach/visibility

Reactions: 1 user
I love me some Emory bashing

Twitter account prob run by residents though

Yes they look ridiculous right now but should tag the attendings who made the mess not the residents

go after Wally or Jeff Bradley or who posted the rotation (khan and Lin) etc

edit: pretesh Patel is PD who used SOAP. Add him to the evil list

Last edited:

Yes they look ridiculous right now but should tag the attendings who made the mess not the residents

Incandescently stupid to be a resident and stoke the flames of the debate in this manner.

• Haha
I'd like reimbursement for my $8000-11000 (can't even remember) from my three away rotations and applying to 90+ residency programs 8 years ago please.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
As has been said this program has been around for a while, including at the height of radonc's competitiveness almost a decade ago, so lets give them a bit of credit for that before we all jump on the "emory didn't match this year and now they're throwing money at applicants!" bandwagon.

Plenty of other reasons to hate this place though.

As has been said this program has been around for a while, including at the height of radonc's competitiveness almost a decade ago, so lets give them a bit of credit for that before we all jump on the "emory didn't match this year and now they're throwing money at applicants!" bandwagon.

Plenty of other reasons to hate this place though.
Yet i never heard about it until this year. Was it for emory students only during more competitive times?

The timing just seems... Odd. Kinda like the diversity thing

Agree with @RSAOaky

That program has been around since at least 2014 based on old SDN posts

Emory still shouldn't have expanded or SOAPed.......hello Emory leaders :)

Still doesn't explain the absolute strange responses from the resident twitter account either...

Last edited:
No reason Duke can’t get in on this too. They just expanded their resident compliment. No way they can risk going unfilled.
F88514D3-6B2A-4A19-92BD-5D87DB3BFEE5.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Diversity is great, highly support it. Please cut spots and only select URiM

Origin of this joke:

As a hospitalist today, who did an elective rotation in radonc in 2013 as a MS3 and got a mere “Pass”...

...I feel better about that now :oops:

• Haha
I'm all for it if by introduce he means like when my immune system was introduced to the COVID vaccine.

Latino, ROI Institute. The Spanish word is Latino.

• Haha
Latino, ROI Institute. The Spanish word is Latino.
It is revealing that Latinx is more popular and more accepted by whites than people from Spanish-speaking countries

• Hmm
It is revealing that Latinx is more popular and more accepted by whites than people from Spanish-speaking countries

This is complicated. First, you can be white and hispanic. These are not at all mutually exclusive.

I live in a >80% Hispanic community, and this latino/latina vs. latinx issue is hotly debated.

My impression is that there are factions on both sides of this discussion. Much like the discussion of gender identity issues among Caucasians, there are factions of people who are more liberal and want to embrace non-conforming word choices and more conservative people who think that there are two sexes/genders and there should be no change to their language, word choice, or historic cultural norms. To re-state, there are certainly people who think he/him/his is silly just like people who think latinx is silly. There is the converse as well, people who think that non-stereotypical word choices promotes inclusion and diversity. It all depends on where you live and who you talk to.

Academics tends to be extremely liberal, so I would also support the Latinx word choice in such a discussion.

I think the push to recruit more minorities into RadOnc is a genuinely good thing. We treat a diverse group of patients and this should be reflected in our physician pool.

However, these diversity issues have existed for decades and it's hard for me to not take a cynical view of the sudden push to be more INCLUSIVE now that we as a field are no longer EXCLUSIVE.

I think the push to recruit more minorities into RadOnc is a genuinely good thing. We treat a diverse group of patients and this should be reflected in our physician pool.

However, these diversity issues have existed for decades and it's hard for me to not take a cynical view of the sudden push to be more INCLUSIVE now that we as a field are no longer EXCLUSIVE.
I would say it may be good for the field and the patients, but probably not the minority doctors themselves.

Pushing minorities into radonc is already happening without the need to do these fancy rotations...
...we call those minorities FMGs (by means of scaring away the AMGs)

FWIW this program has been around for over 10 years but predominantly had been used by Emory Med Students. Program trying to increase outreach/visibility

I did a similar program by Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology (ie, WashU) in the late 1990s. Paid summer research between PGY1 and PGY2. One of us is a medical oncologist; the other a radiologist and then there's me....

But seriously; it was cool to have a patient observation (patients with real pathologic findings!) as well as a research aspect. This experience was a confirmatory experience that I wanted in on this rad onc thing. I did some chart review on some weird physics thing called the 'lung V20'... :1geek::)

Every Spanish-speaker I work with advocates for Latino and loathes the linguistic colonialism represented by either 'Latinx' or 'Latine'
I think this whole discussion is fascinating.

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

The well-intentioned movement to normalize gender-neutral terminology neglects the notion that many in Latino(e) (and, frankly, many in white-American culture) prefer that their genders be defined explicitly. Is calling a woman from Mexico a 'Latine' or 'Latinx', even though she prefers 'Latina' really the most-open minded approach? I am all for defining language that can be used for those who feel the current language is inadequate (i.e. if someone tells me their pronouns, I will endeavor to use them correctly), but where this movement loses me is when it tries to redefine large categories of people to better include a small minority. Just as we should be sensitive to those who are non-binary in how we refer to them, we should also be sensitive to this who are cis-gendered in not forcing new gender-neutral labels if they are unwanted.

All that explanation... for one little letter (-x). Masculine/feminine is so ingrained in the Romance languages it's always been doubtful to me that "gender is a construct" will take root in those countries. The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis suggests Latinx, or the pronouns my letterboxd account just asked me for, will never totally catch on in Mexico, or France, etc. (In France #MeToo was #OutYourPig.)

D9jZnsv.png

Every Spanish-speaker I work with advocates for Latino and loathes the linguistic colonialism represented by either 'Latinx' or 'Latine'
Bingo. 1984 Newspeak coming in Hot. Isn't this some term white elitist liberals came up with to force upon the Latino community?

From the article below: "Less than a quarter, 23 percent, of those who identify as Hispanic or Latino have even heard of the term “Latinx,”"

As a student of classics/Latin many years ago, I was taught that gender is a linguistic feature and sex is a biologic feature. The way that words have a "gender" in many languages is not the same as the way that people have "sex."

Unfortunately, this psychopath came along and muddied everything up by trying to interrelate the two concepts: John Money - Wikipedia

If you change the gender of a word, it changes its meaning. In German: Der Leiter (masculine) = the director/manager. Die Leiter (feminine) = the ladder.
Trying to call a female manager "die Leiter" to be non-offensive would mean you are referring to her as a an object you step all over and use to climb above something. Which is more offensive?

Hopefully The Latin-x/e stuff represents the peak of anti-reality woke silliness. Sadly I believe not. We have much farther to fall into 1984-dumbness.

As a student of classics/Latin many years ago, I was taught that gender is a linguistic feature and sex is a biologic feature. The way that words have a "gender" in many languages is not the same as the way that people have "sex."

Unfortunately, this psychopath came along and muddied everything up by trying to interrelate the two concepts: John Money - Wikipedia

If you change the gender of a word, it changes its meaning. In German: Der Leiter (masculine) = the director/manager. Die Leiter (feminine) = the ladder.
Trying to call a female manager "die Leiter" to be non-offensive would mean you are referring to her as a an object you step all over and use to climb above something. Which is more offensive?

Hopefully The Latin-x/e stuff represents the peak of anti-reality woke silliness. Sadly I believe not. We have much farther to fall into 1984-dumbness.
It's a minefield of sillinesses out there. And people can't get enough of it!!!!

Vlrg98i.png