Medical School Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjfarrell21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my reasons for wanting to go abroad, but those are irrelevant to the topic post. I'm well aware of the bias against those who go out of the country.
I'm interested in a list of schools that welcome U.S. students, are respected internationally, with access to research and AND have had good residency matches back in the States?

Not sure if I'm asking too much in that last line, but I'm more curious about the opportunities out there abroad.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you need to be respected internationally? In the US, any foreign medical school < US medical school.

Many places (especially in the Caribbeans) love rich US students. Australian schools also educate many foreign students (don't count on staying there as they have long been producing too many physicians than needed).

If you only speak English, the list of foreign medical schools you can go to is really limited. Also, why should UK or Canadian medical schools be concerned with how they match students to US residencies?

Another issue, medical schools outside of English-speaking countries admit students from high school and to get a degree there will take you as long as 7 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You want to study abroad, study abroad - great experience! Or take a year or two off to travel.
But do it as an undergrad or in a gap year.
Because if you want to go to medical school abroad, it will greatly diminish your prospects to practice medicine in the US.

Reactions: 3 users
I am looking at studying abroad. I likely wouldn't practice in the USA. I am willing to learn a new language as well. Any advice? Guatemala? Mexico? Singapore? Hong Kong? Malayasia?