Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Medical School Acceptances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by RDJ, Sep 28, 2000.

1. RDJ

RDJ

Post your acceptances here. I am interested in seeing where you all may be going. [​IMG]

By the way, I received an acceptance at UHS in Kansas City today. I interviewed there on Friday, 22 September, their first day of interviews. It took five days to receive the acceptance, whew that was fast. For anyone else who has also received an acceptance, congratulations; for those of you still slugging away at it, good luck.
    As far as UHS goes, compared to the other DO and MD schools I have interviewed at, it is a great school and can hold its own when compared to any one of them. Do not pass up an opportunity to interview there. I was quite impressed by their program.

Now, here is the deal on the ?admissions agreement? that all the AACOMAS schools made: Anyone receiving an acceptance before December 14th, has until then to respond and pay the deposit. It is intended to allow all the applicants to finish other interviews, receive other acceptances and than make a decision about which one to attend. Then--on or before 14 December--the applicant pays the deposit at his/her school of choice and respectfully declines any other offers.

[This message has been edited by RDJ (edited 09-29-2000).]

2. MSERMAN

MSERMAN Member
    10+ Year Member

Do you mind me asking what your stats are for acceptance to Kansas City(GPA/MCAT,etc..)? That is where I am interested in attending.

3. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

RDJ, congratulations! Now take it easy and relax bcz what you got coming is not pretty. I am a Med student at PCOM. so take a long trip end enjoy your freee summer. Congratulations again.
    Keep posting.

------------------
    siul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RDJ

RDJ

MSERMAN:
    I would not worry about trying to compare your stats with mine. My stats are neither weak nor exceptional. What makes me stand out is my non-traditional status and worldwide life-experiences. With that said, let me tell you about UHS? admissions procedures and you can go from there. (Realize this is my personal interpretation based on my experiences and what admissions personnel and current students have told me.)
    UHS receives about 2500-3000 applications each year. They screen all primary applications for grades and MCAT and only send out secondaries to those who are ?academically qualified.? I do not know their minimal standards. After you make that cut, they place a large amount of weight on all other aspects of your primary and secondary application. They only interview about 500 people each year for 225 seats. They are adamant about telling you that if you receive an interview, you are ninety percent there already. At that point, they just want to get to know you before making their final decision.
    So, if you applied and received a secondary do not sweat your grades anymore. However, be prepared to defend anything below a ?B.? I have been told that some interviewers will ask you about them just to see how you react. It is not the grade they are looking at, it is what you say and how you say it. Remember, receiving an interview at UHS is a big deal. Not to be accepted after that means you did something terribly wrong. In saying terribly wrong, I mean something to the extent of being caught in a lie or some similar self-incriminating act.
    It is a very good school. They have a very beautiful campus (although the neighborhood is lacking slightly, but that can be said about most medical schools/centers) an outstanding curriculum, solid diverse clinicals and are in the process of expanding their research programs. In addition, they are starting a new DO/MBA option that will begin the summer before medical school and continue the following summer. If interested, you will be completed with all your Masters classes, start your clinicals and graduate within four years (a few other schools offer four-year dual degree plans similar to this). Furthermore, they have an MPH option that will become available to students matriculating in a year or two.

Good Luck

SIUL:
    If you happen to pass by those interviewing at PCOM on 5 October, say something to me. I am hard to miss- 75 inches, 200lbs, dark blonde hair with a military cut, wearing a blue suit complete with my favorite power tie. DJ

5. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've been accepted at UNECOM. I'll give you my views on the school.

You will be interviewing with 9-10 people and will recieve a little card stating the time of interview and who will interview you. People say relax because the interview is simple. This may be true, but you should not come unprepared. Still prepare for the Why osteopathy? etc. questions. I liked the school and thought the students they accepted were extremely nice, the kind you wouldn't mind spending the next four years with. The diversity, not great....98-99 percent white(But what do you expect, you're in Maine). They have a new building which is great because everything is modern and up to date, and students have access to it 24 hrs/day. The class size works, only 115 students, so everyone knows everyone, pretty much. The area and campus is beautiful, go driving around and see the houses. They have 4 students per cadaver, which is a good ratio and tells alot about a school and the resourses. The notetaking service is fairly decent and accurate from what i hear.

Will I attend? I don't know yet. Everything the school showed me on interview day sold me on the school. That was my first interview, so it is difficult to compare with others. I have UHS, TUCOM, KCOM, COMP scheduled, so I want to see these programs before I make a final decision. I certainly wouldn't mind going if that was my only acceptance. I also live on the other side of the country, so that may weigh on my decision. But, if you are from the East Coast, I would seriously consider this school. It was great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just one quick question....what is the best way to get to UNECOM...?????? I have been checking flights and they are $$$$$$$$..I was thinking of flying in Providence...and taking the 3 hour drive up..any suggestions???

7. nmehta211

nmehta211 Member
    10+ Year Member

You could try Boston's Logan Airport, Providence airport, or Hartford's Bradley airport. These are all within 4 hours of UNECOM, and you can easily rent a car from ENterprise at all these locations. Best of luck.

8. glands75

glands75 Member
    10+ Year Member

I have not been accepted anywhere (yet), but my friend was accepted to UHS Kansas City. She interviewed in mid September. Her stats are 24 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, one year of research, and she's a female... that helps even in the year 2000.

9. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's ONLY a 2-day drive to UNECOM from North Florida (I've done in about 10 times now!).... [​IMG] In-laws live about 5 miles from the school! Even in a 5.0 Mustang, it's cheaper than flying! Ha!

Ps-sorry to inturrupt the thread...I just couldn't resist!

10. zorro21

zorro21 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I interviewed at LECOM on September 7, 2000. I found out that I was accepted on October 2, 2000. I was very impressed with the school. The deposit to hold your place in class is 1500 dollars. I have one more interview at PCSOM on December 9, 2000.

11. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    For Yosh (apologies for the late response),

Forget Providence, look at Manchester (NH). Especially if you're considering flying SWA. Manchester is about an hour north of Boston and definitely A LOT closer to Biddeford than either Logan, Providence, or Hartford.

-d

12. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Got into LECOM this week! I'm so happy! Three more interviews - NOVA, DES MOINES, AND OKLAHOMA. Anybody hear anything good/bad about each?

Congrats to all that got in, and good luck to those still applying!

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

13. glands75

glands75 Member
    10+ Year Member

Interviewed at OUCOM on October 10th... accepted October 11th!!!!

Great curriculum; nice atmosphere for studying medicine and for the cost conscious, only $12,800/yr. Gotta love Ohio!

14. Jattdoc

Jattdoc SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed at westren on tuesday Oct 10, and accepted friday the 13th, gpa sci (3.65), non sci (3.45), mcat 8v,10p,10b.k.thanx..

15. PV1

PV1

hey guys...

at my interview Western U stated that decisions are made wednesday of every week. so how can you find out friday if you got into the college? i think you have to wait for the acceptance in the mail...anybody have more info. about this?

16. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, PV1. I saw that post and because i interviewed before he did and heard nothing decided to give Western a call. They said that they do not give decisions over the phone and that the letters will be sent next wendesday. I have not idea how the other post found out so early.

17. Jattdoc

Jattdoc SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    sorry..please let me clarify, i was an early decision candidate, and i called and asked the director if i could personally come by and pick up the letter,i was kind of anxious, she said, normally i would also have to wait for the letter, but because i was in the early decision program, and i had waited this long, because of AACOMAS delays, she just verifed some information and told me about acceptance..k..bye

18. PV1

PV1

okay that sounds better. it will be two weeks for me this wednesday. so that means my letter will be mailed this week? really looking forward to an acceptance from AZCOM as well!

19. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To kidterrific-- OSU-COM doesn't get a lot of press on this site, which i don't know is good or bad, but you should definitely give it a look. I was accepted at OSU and KCOM, and chose OSU.. Out of state tuition at OSU is comparable to the private school tuition of Kirksville, and the class size is significantly smaller. I was an out of state applicant, too, and out of our class of 88, we have about 12 out of staters. If you have any questions regarding the atmosphere, class schedule, etc. feel free to email me at [email protected]

take it easy

Homonculus

p.s. Pilot and Dr B. also go to OSU-COM, if you want a second or third opinion.. [​IMG]

20. milleniumhc

milleniumhc Member
    10+ Year Member

kidterrific, Did you apply to KCOM? I totally respect the opinion of everybody else, but I personally think that KCOM is No. 1. They have been around the longest, so they really have their act together. I found that some of the other schools were kind of wandering around in the shadows. It worried me. KCOM is a beautiful school and has wonderful professors and a great curriculum. Their classrooms are technologically up to date and they have tons of connections for clinicals. Plus, I noticed that you are from MI (so am I) and they have rotations available for 3rd and 4th years in MI. That was another plus for me. Anyhow, yes, the school is expensive, but I feel that it is totally worth it. It impressed me that the school has such a great reputation that you can tell people that you go there and right away a lot of people will have heard of it. I hope that maybe this helps anyone out that is looking into KCOM. Yes, the class size is about 150 (exactly) but it doesn't make it difficult to get help. Most of my professors know me by name. They have our pictures and make it a point to know us by name (not all of them, but a lot of them). It is so nice. It makes you feel good when your professors walk by you in the hall and say hello to you and use your name. Anyhow, enough of that. Good luck to you and I hope that you pick a place that suites you well. Sincerely,

mhc KCOM class of 04

21. kidterrific

10+ Year Member

To all, Dr. B emailed me, and he's been incredible.

Regarding KCOM....I got a letter from them telling me that they weren't going to grant me an interview.....YET.

They were going to put my app on hold and review it again later for an interview. As my hero the crocodile hunter would say - KRIKEY!

Thanks to all for the GREAT advice.

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

22. Yosh

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just got accepted to UHS today!!! Awesome!! Waiting to hear on LECOM, and have interviews scheduled for UNECOM, Nova, AZCOM, and Western..

I am PSYCHED!!

23. Berto

Berto Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Recently got an acceptance to Kirksville. Would be interested in talking to any current students about how they like the school.

24. cjkalmat

cjkalmat Member
    10+ Year Member

Just wondering if anyone has been accepted to West Virginia S.O.M.

25. kidterrific

10+ Year Member

I wish - they shot me down BIG TIME. First rejection letter!!!

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

26. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Whats up with the crap. I interviewed at COMP and UHSCOM over two weeks ago and they said i would hear something by now, but nothing. Anyone else heard from these schools yet?

27. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    TNT, calm down! You know the saying "no news is good news!" [​IMG] Good Luck!

28. Yosh

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed at UHS last Weds...got my acceptance on Friday..talk about FAST!!! My friend in California also interviewed with me...and still hasn't heard...he interviewed at COMP last week also..and hasn't heard
    My acceptance came in a BIG white envelope...

Keep your eyes peeled.

I am going to COMP on Friday...we'll see how long they take....

29. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Finally got my COMP letter via certified mail today. It was dated on OCT 19. Now I'm waiting for UHSCOM.

30. RDJ

RDJ

Hey! I received a phone call acceptance from MSU today. I must say that the school is awesome. I could really go on about all the details concerning the strengths of their medical program, but I will spare you the 2-3 pages; after all, it is Michigan State. With that said, one aspect of the school deserves a special note. The people that make up the student body, administration and faculty are an excellent bunch. I was able to spend two days there with a group of MS-II?s prior to my interview (much cheaper airfare). Moreover, they had a pizza party that Sunday and I was introduced to a number of MS-I?s and II?s. I received a good introduction to the place. I have had a number of interviews both here in Texas and out of state, but I have never seen a greater bunch. I think the pass/fail system the school has goes a along way to ameliorate any sense of competition between students. The school is everything I think osteopathic medicine stands for. The fact that they only interview about 30 out-of-staters a year makes me feel even more privileged to have been accepted. Their supplemental is grueling and their interviews are one hour long X2. If you get a chance interview, definitely be yourself. They really want to know who you are and in two hours of interviews, plus the half-hour that the director of admissions spends with you, really makes ?YOU? come out. Moreover, they only interview one or two people per day. I was by myself. You sure do leave with the impression that they think each of their students/interviewees are special. If you are fortunate enough to have an opportunity to go to this great school, be prepared to be part of a big family.

31. I finally got the letters from UHS and COMP yesterday (I'm the guy Yosh is talking about in the previous post), and got acceptances at both. Two very good schools, and one tough decision. Depending on the schedule of the your interview, you may hear within 3days or 3 weeks (I was 1 of 10 interviewed on their first day, which is why I did not hear from COMP promptly). Good luck to you all, and for those with multiple acceptances please be considerate to the school and your fellow colleagues by making your final decision before the generous December 14th deadline. Thanks.

32. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Congrats RDJ,

I would have loved to go to MSUCOM, but the secondary was a B#tch. I got sent the secondary, but my letters of reference were compiled in the premed office, and MSU requires that their forms be used. Everyone I trusted to write me a good letter had already written me one for the premed office. I didn't want to bother them again. Also, the essays are long. So I said forget it. Thats ok though, I'm in at two school and waiting to hear from another. Good luck at MSU(if you decide to go).

[This message has been edited by TNT (edited 10-26-2000).]

33. PV1

PV1

hey Robbc,

just wondering when you interviewed at COMP. mine was on oct. 5th and i still havent heard anything. thanks for any info and goodluck to all!

Pritbir

34. smiles

smiles Member
    10+ Year Member

I got COMP yesterday also!!!! What a day, what a day!!! Good luck to you all!!!

35. PV1,

I interviewed October 3rd, the first day of interviews. I believe those interviewed from the 3rd to the 17th or 18th should receive the first batch of letters. My letter was dated Oct 19th, same with all the others I have spoken with. Good luck. Let me know once you make your final decision on which school you'll attend.

[This message has been edited by RobbC (edited 10-26-2000).]

36. PV1

PV1

Robbc,

actually i got my letter today! i'm just going to wait for azcom and tucom before i make up my mind. i think it will be between azcom and comp. thanks for your reply! goodluck to all...

Pritbir

37. RDJ

RDJ

Philadelphia-COM applicants/interviewees--run out and check your mailboxes. Their first round of acceptances were sent out, received mine this morning. I wish you all the very, best of luck.

Dale

38. glands75

glands75 Member
    10+ Year Member

39. glands75

glands75 Member
    10+ Year Member

Received PCOM and UNECOM acceptances today! That totals three for me... ahhh, and still another month and a half to make a decision.

life is good

-glands

40. Yosh

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got my LECOM acceptance today....that makes 2 now!!! Oh BABY!!!

Healthy Mind...Healthy Body

------------------

41. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Congrats on your acceptances, but some of you guys act as if you got into Harvard. Anyways, got my UHSCOM acceptance today finally, but i'm about 99.99% sure i heading to COMP next year. The other .01 percent is just in case the school burns down or theres a major earthquake.

42. Yosh

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't get the "Harvard" comment....why the harsh feelings?? If people are getting acceptances, and/or multiple acceptances..it is quite an accomplishment, and we SHOULD be proud. It was a long road..and dammit...we are finally here..passing yet another hurdle in life. Especially if this is not the first time applying.

Enjoy your acceptances!

Why the gripe?

------------------

43. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It just seemed like you guys were gloating about your acceptances, making other people who may have gotten rejected feel worse than they already are.

44. Yosh

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If people felt that way...it is certainly not what was intended. People posting that they are relieved that they were accepted is AWESOME.
    I spent all of last year, with not one acceptance, yet I NEVER viewed the "Acceptance Posts" as gloating.
    This year..its my turn to celebrate..so no harm was meant...

C'mon now...

Just for the record...we are talking about postings in the "Medical School Acceptances" category..which if anywhere is CERTAINLY the appropriate place to "Toot" one's horn, and gloat.

Just my thoughts....

------------------

45. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

46. TNT,

Congrats on your accceptances.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm deciding between UHS and COMP, but I'm about 99% decided on COMP. May I ask your reasons for choosing COMP over UHS? Hopefully, I'll be seeing you in Aug '01.

Oh yeah, what are your thoughts about the ISAC program? It does seem pretty inviting to complete Gross to free up some time to study for other classes during the first year.

47. wannabe_doctor

10+ Year Member

Today I called Kirksville and they told me that I was accepted. KCOM being my first choice, I am very happy. Is anyone else out there going to go to KCOM next year?

I would like to congratulate all of you on your acceptance(s). Determination and effort have paid off. I hope everyone applying out there gets the results they hope for!

Good Luck all!

48. TNT

TNT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

RobbC,

Congrats to you to on your acceptances. Coming from California, i prefer to stay close to home. Here are some of the reasons why I am leaning towards COMP right now.

1)It has a record of sending graduates to some good residencies.
    2)Not just a DO school, they have a PA, PharmD, MPT, Grad Nursing, and soon to be vet school, so you're not only interacting with med students all day.
    3)Good student:cadaver ratio of 4:1, whereas UHS has a ratio of 9-10:1(group of 4-5 on each side). I think this ratio tells you something about the resources a school has.
    4)impressed with the new new format of MS1 and MS2 years that was presented during interview.
    5)Class size is a bit smaller 175, as opposed to 225 of UHS.
    6)Hoping that the new library is nice.

Some worries about COMP:
    1)Getting mugged. Just kidding, but the area is not great.
    2)cant really study on campus late.
    3)Rediculous laptop fee.
    4)Dosn't seem to have a lot of affiliated hospitals(but at least they do have their own).

I'm not going to do the ISAC program because previous anatomy experience is required, and I don't have any, Plus I would like to take the summer before school starts off. I heard first year there was a B*tch, so if you could take it, It would to lighten the load. These are just my opinions, and because I don't know any current students or have spoken to any, take my opinions for what its worth. Good luck in your decision, its difficult, even for me now. It seems like every time i re-evaluate each school, my mind changes. But i'm still pretty sure i'm going to COMP.

49. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone out there planning on going to UNECOM? It was my first choice school, and I found out I was accepted last weekend. I used frequent flier miles to get to Portland, so I don't know what the best flight for you would be. But just knowing what I do about airlines and airports, the cheaper flights are ones from an airline's hub to another hub, because they have alot of these flights. My main airport is Detroit, so I get cheaper flights through Northwest, because it is their main hub. Also, kewep in mind airport size. The smaller the airport, the pricier the ticket. I'd suggest flying to Boston or Manchester (MHT is the code) and driving. it is really a beautiful drive.

50. double elle

double elle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wannabe-doc, I am interviewing at KCOM next Thursday. Was wondering how the interview went for you. I have a friend who could have called today to find out if he was accepted or not. Anyway, congratulations! If you have any info for me on the interview, I would be glad to hear it! I live in Kirksville, so I don't need info on the town..but would be happy to answer any questions you have! Again, WAY TO GO!!