Medical School Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

east2westMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be starting medical school this fall, but I am a little concern about the school I got into. It is a U.S. accredited medical school, but since it is brand new the school is not officially accredited until the first class graduates in 2013. I am waitlisted at some other good schools, but since it is almost June I have to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I got into the new school a couple months ago and I was truely excited but after talking to other medical students and friends, I became a little dissapointed. I had good stats for top notch schools and some of them have suggested to re-apply.

Although the school is new and not ranked, I actually liked the school a lot. The major concern is matching into a good residency after medical school. I will most probably want to match into a competitive residency in california and I am afraid going to an unknown, currently unaccredited medical school in the east coast will prevent me from obtaining my goal.

I would appreciate any insight on the matter from someone who may know a thing or two about matching. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

As has been said on the forums many times, the school you graduate from doesnt matter that much as long as it is US and MD for getting into residencies. The MAIN thing is your step scores. A no name 250 beats a Johns Hopkins 220.

I didnt know any new schools opened up.
Anyway, i agree with the post above. The only question would be if they have a hospital or if you would have to go somewhere else to do your rotations.

Hi all,

I

Although the school is new and not ranked, I actually liked the school a lot. The major concern is matching into a good residency after medical school. I will most probably want to match into a competitive residency in california and I am afraid going to an unknown, currently unaccredited medical school in the east coast will prevent me from obtaining my goal.

That would be hard because 1. It would be a competetive residency and 2. its in California.
If you are coming from outside the state it makes very little difference which school you are coming from. Its equally hard without decent board scores.