Medical school accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been told by many that all US allopathic schools essentially offer the same quality of education, but "rumor" has it that there are few schools to watch out for, who had their accreditation revoked in the recent past... Is this true? I couldn't find on google which school these might be, and if this really is a serious problem? (or if the ones out on the application market for this cycle is assumed to all have valid accreditation at the moment, so this is really not a concern)

Members don't see this ad.

The school's accreditation won't be revoked; they will just be put on probation until they make necessary changes. LCME checks all schools every seven years or so (i believe - not certain, it's either that or they require a written report from the school every year) -- to make sure that all schools are still on par. In the last ten years, I know GWU and Rosalind Franklin went on probation for awhile -- but they have since then been fully accredited again. Even if you go to these schools and they are placed on probation, you will still receive your degree and be able to practice.

edit: currently Ponce School of Medicine and a school in Canada are on probation - they are still accredited, just being watched. link.

Last edited: