Medical School after Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hombreamarillo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a senior in high school and am applying to the ROTC programs (and universities). I am in a dilemma concerning med school and how my desire to serve fits in.

I plan on doing Army ROTC and applying for an ed delay and go to med school (out of my pocket, no HSPS/USUHS).

If everything goes to plan I will go to med school right after university w/ed delay. Do a military residency and serve 8 years total.

However, the odds of receiving an ed delay is low so I always have to prepare for the worst.

So my Question is this, how would I go about applying to med school after university and 4 years of service?

Would I have to retake premed courses? I know I have to retake the MCAT also.

Any advice on this process? Thanks!

And would it generally be easier to get into med school with service? (+good MCAT)

P.S
Does anyone know if the Navy ROTC Marine Option offers ed delays for med school? I also like the Marine ROTC program but aren't sure if they allow cadets to go to med school..

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who did what you're proposing, your plan is a terrible one. It happened that way for me because I chose the Army before I knew I wanted to go to medical school, and it kinda worked out because my undergrad happened to be more expensive than my medical school. Then again, I chose my med school in part because it was cheaper and I didn't want to do HPSP.

If you already know you want to go to medical school right after college, then do not do ROTC. Do ROTC only because you want to be an Army officer.

Even if you get your educational delay, ROTC will complicate your pre-med curriculum and affect your GPA in ways that you just don't need.

The only time I think I could advise someone to do ROTC and then go straight on to medical school would be if they were already committed to stay until retirement. Then, it might make some sense, but only if you did HPSP or went to USUHS.

@colbgw02
I do want to become an Army officer as well as become a doctor. I've seen others on this forum do what I want to do but that was years ago so current input would be nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I say become an Army officer, I'm talking about a line officer, as in an infantry platoon leader. I'm not talking about becoming an Army physician.

If the former is what you want, then ROTC is a great route. Pay back your time, and if the medicine bug is still biting you, then you can return to it - with or without the military.

If the latter is what you want, then doing ROTC makes no sense. Again, this is the route that I went, and I'm telling you it's not a good idea. As I mentioned, the only exception would be if you want to do ROTC + HPSP/USUHS and obligate yourself essentially to stay until retirement.

Hi, I'm currently a senior in high school and am applying to the ROTC programs (and universities). I am in a dilemma concerning med school and how my desire to serve fits in.

I plan on doing Army ROTC and applying for an ed delay and go to med school (out of my pocket, no HSPS/USUHS).

If everything goes to plan I will go to med school right after university w/ed delay. Do a military residency and serve 8 years total.

However, the odds of receiving an ed delay is low so I always have to prepare for the worst.

So my Question is this, how would I go about applying to med school after university and 4 years of service?

Would I have to retake premed courses? I know I have to retake the MCAT also.

Any advice on this process? Thanks!

And would it generally be easier to get into med school with service? (+good MCAT)

P.S
Does anyone know if the Navy ROTC Marine Option offers ed delays for med school? I also like the Marine ROTC program but aren't sure if they allow cadets to go to med school..

I'm currently in ROTC. Applying to med school in 2015. My question is.. How do you plan on getting a military residency without doing USHUS or HPSP? I don't think Joe off the street can just apply to military residencies. ROTC or not. Also, ROTC doesn't count as time in service in the context you're using it in. Essentially they're paying you for ROTC, if you graduate and commission into the reserves then your plan may work. Talk to an AMEDD recruiter before you make any decisions.

I'm currently in ROTC. Applying to med school in 2015. My question is.. How do you plan on getting a military residency without doing USHUS or HPSP? I don't think Joe off the street can just apply to military residencies. ROTC or not. Also, ROTC doesn't count as time in service in the context you're using it in. Essentially they're paying you for ROTC, if you graduate and commission into the reserves then your plan may work. Talk to an AMEDD recruiter before you make any decisions.

People with an ROTC obligation who are on ed delay (IRR) are required to apply for military residency the same as HPSP students are.

Not sure if you're not on ed delay and serving in the ready reserves.