Medical School Alumni - Family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelRW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, without sounding like a complete tool, I wanted to get some opinions and facts on having and perhaps utilizing medschool alumni status of family members.

I have 2 paternal family members (so they both have the same last name as me) that graduated in two different generations at the University of Michigan Medical School. The last thing I want to do is think that I am "entitled" or blah blah blah to get into their program simply because of my relation to two alumni. At the same time, if there is a chance that it may help, even just a little, then I don't think I would hesitate. In fact, I think it would be borderline foolish not to use whatever resources are available.

Does anyone have experience with the UM secondaries?

Is this where something like this would be brought up?

Is completely wrong to use this resource, and if not, how do you pull it off without sounding like an entitled d-bag?

As always, I know I can count on you all for insightful responses, and thanks again for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd be stupid not to use connections. It's how the world works; use everything to your advantage. Who cares that Billy thinks you are a douche bag because you had XXX help you get into school and they didn't.

Sometimes secondaries have "list relatives" that are alumni/graduates from other schools. Also, once everything is complete, you can have them call the school on your behalf to A) get your application read and get an interview and/or B) have them call after your interview.

Definitely use the connections. I wouldn't expect it to be on their secondary, though. It does happen sometimes, but not always.

Also, don't expect it to get you too much. Some of the adcom members I've spoken with have suggested that it might get you an interview, but it's nowhere close to getting you an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely use the connections. I wouldn't expect it to be on their secondary, though. It does happen sometimes, but not always.

Also, don't expect it to get you too much. Some of the adcom members I've spoken with have suggested that it might get you an interview, but it's nowhere close to getting you an acceptance.

Yeah, I'm certainly not expecting some miracle out of it. At the same time, I'm going to do anything and everything that has the potential to improve my chances. If it's not somewhere on their secondary, where does one make note of this type of info? Is it practical to have phone calls placed on my behalf, as suggested in the previous reply?

If it's on the secondary, put it there; if not, don't force it.

Phone calls from alumni on your behalf are good; even better if they stayed in contact throughout the years.

My friend was working in the lab with his PI (not even a relative), who was an MD/PhD. They got on the subject of medical school and he said he had applied to his alma mater and has yet to hear back..the PI then picked up the phone right there and then, called the dean, and 2 hours later interview invite in his email.

Yeah don't put this on your secondary unless there is a specific question on the topic.

You can call your relatives and ask them to help. If they are in academics, a current school employee, etc., then it may do quite a bit of good. If their only association is being an alumni, I wouldn't expect too much. Worth a try though.

i think you'd be surprised how many people have connections into medical school -- everyone uses those connections, as well

I went to a state university and would venture to say 1/3 to 1/2 of a class of about 110 had connections, from personal relatives to friends of those with personal relatives. In the same regard, even if you don't have a personal connection, having a family member who is simply a physician makes you stand out because you are more likely to understand the lifestyle/what it takes to get through medical school/residency.

It sucks for those who are going to be the first MDs in their families with no connections/relatives that are phsyicians. You aren't competing for i.e. 110 spots. You may be, in essence, competing for "65" spots.

It doesn't end after medical school, either -- count on it for residency and finding a job. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

I wouldn't personally mention it unless an adcom brings it up, or it's in the secondary (which seems strange to me). However, I definitely took similar advantage to get into medical school. I befriended a physician and began shadowing him. Later, I found out that he was a family friend. Even later, I found out he was AN ADCOM AT THE SCHOOL TO WHICH I APPLIED. I don't know if he pulled some strings to get me in or not (I tend to think no, as my numbers were slightly above average for a matriculate at said school, and I interviewed well), but I'm certain they thoroughly considered me and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this physician made sure that the other adcoms stayed an extra five minutes at the end of one of their bi-monthly meetings to review my application for acceptance. Do whatever you can, short of anything ethically questionable. There are a lot of people who should get into medical school who never do. Too many variables are left to chance. Whatever power you have, be sure to wield it.

i think you'd be surprised how many people have connections into medical school -- everyone uses those connections, as well

I went to a state university and would venture to say 1/3 to 1/2 of a class of about 110 had connections, from personal relatives to friends of those with personal relatives. In the same regard, even if you don't have a personal connection, having a family member who is simply a physician makes you stand out because you are more likely to understand the lifestyle/what it takes to get through medical school/residency.

It sucks for those who are going to be the first MDs in their families with no connections/relatives that are phsyicians. You aren't competing for i.e. 110 spots. You may be, in essence, competing for "65" spots.

It doesn't end after medical school, either -- count on it for residency and finding a job. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

I'm the first in my family to pursue medicine, and it has been a major stepping stone. Every single interview I had for medical school (I got interviews at every school to which I applied) I was asked what my parents do for a living. Further, when I replied with the actual careers of my parents, every single adcom responded by clarifying that I had no family members in medicine. I was only accepted to one medical school, despite having competitive numbers at each school to which I applied, and I wouldn't be surprised to discover that this was a factor.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

I'm the first in my family to pursue medicine, and it has been a major stepping stone. Every single interview I had for medical school (I got interviews at every school to which I applied) I was asked what my parents do for a living. Further, when I replied with the actual careers of my parents, every single adcom responded by clarifying that I had no family members in medicine. I was only accepted to one medical school, despite having competitive numbers at each school to which I applied, and I wouldn't be surprised to discover that this was a factor.

It's honestly a breath of fresh air to interview someone who doesn't have family in medicine. I ask many applicants this because I think (My school seems to agree) that people with family in medicine have often been pressured into pursuing medicine. Schools like students who have had life challenges, and someone who fought their way into college from a working class background is more interesting than someone who's had college handed to them on a silver platter.

While legacy factors into admissions, I think it is a relatively uncommon event. Certainly not half the class, as one person mentioned.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

I have no family members in medicine, and got 9+ acceptances despite pretty average numbers. I don't think family has much to do with it.

It's honestly a breath of fresh air to interview someone who doesn't have family in medicine. I ask many applicants this because I think (My school seems to agree) that people with family in medicine have often been pressured into pursuing medicine. Schools like students who have had life challenges, and someone who fought their way into college from a working class background is more interesting than someone who's had college handed to them on a silver platter.

While legacy factors into admissions, I think it is a relatively uncommon event. Certainly not half the class, as one person mentioned.

This is what my impression was entering the interview process. Further, TexasPhysician is likely correct that it isn't a significant factor in determining who is accepted. However, it was not my experience. I've probably over analyzed it.

Last edited: