Medical School and Conventions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregory Gulick

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear from some of the medical students about whether their school encourages/allows students to attend the national AOA, AAO, and SOMA conventions. I recall an MS-III friend of mine who traveled to the AOA conference last year and I was wondering if it is unusual to be given time off for these types of functions.

And if I'm not mistaken, this years AOA conference is in San Francisco. Any inside info from the TUCOM students?

Thanks.

ggulick.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Schools don't typically give students "time off" for such activities. The student must arrange their own schedule for such events. Some professors are more willing than others to arrange alternate test dates. I've attended quite a few conferences during medical school so far, but rarely stay for the entire conference. Hope that helps!

--dave

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited 03-23-99).]

In NOVA, the school likes the student involve, but the academic schedule will not alter just because of the convention. If there is a test after you come back from the convention, you are reponsible.

This year I am going to the SOMA convention because it is during spring break.