medical school and residency location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AIRMJ4

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you go to a private school in a particular state, is there still a chance to get a residency somewhere else? I've heard from friends and seen from match lists that students who go to a particular school often stay in the same state as that school to do their residencies. I'm guessing there is some preference for students from a school with connections to medical centers in that same state. This part doesn't worry me, but is there going to be an uphill battle getting residency at medical centers in other states after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

If you go to a private school in a particular state, is there still a chance to get a residency somewhere else? I've heard from friends and seen from match lists that students who go to a particular school often stay in the same state as that school to do their residencies. I'm guessing there is some preference for students from a school with connections to medical centers in that same state. This part doesn't worry me, but is there going to be an uphill battle getting residency at medical centers in other states after graduation?

no uphill battle. no bearing. go where you want.

I went to University of Penn and did my residency right there :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
if you read the details you might find the answers

i read. you misquoted. i think the original was this:

"I've heard from friends and seen from match lists that students who go to a particular school often stay in the same state as that school to do their residencies. I'm guessing there is some preference for students from a school with connections to medical centers in that same state."

didn't see the if on there or the ?. i assume if you went to penn u had choices outside the state?

sorry been up all night and grumpy

No that's ok. I read it as he was referring to students who goes to a particular school "often" stay within the same state and if there is a connection to medical centers within the same state.

So I wrote I went to Univ. of Penn and stayed at Penn since I was offered. Students often have more connections within the same state or the same school they went to :)

This part doesn't worry me, but is there going to be an uphill battle getting residency at medical centers in other states after graduation?

The vast majority of the time, the answer will be "no." If you look at any match list you will see a wide dispersion across the nation. Med school grads who match locally/regionally almost always do so because of ties to that locale/region. They get comfortable, perhaps buy a house, their spouses land decent jobs, they squeeze out a few puppies, their parents live three towns over, etc. Call it inertia, call it practicality, it's a very powerful force.

That said, there are occasional exceptions, particularly in highly competitive fields. Don't obsess too much about this possibility, though. The guy who gets forced to stay in-house is the marginal candidate who applies to 110 ortho programs and only gets 3 interviews. If you have the goods to do derm at your home school you've probably got the goods to do it elsewhere. The two "best" matches from my class at MCV were ENT at Harvard and neurosurgery at UCSF. Those two individuals were rockstars, and they wrote their own tickets.

For the rest of us mere mortals, it's still not very difficult to match in other states. The limiting factor is one's willingness to apply an interview at distant institutions. I interviewed at 12 programs from Virginia to California, and although it was time consuming and expensive, I matched at a nice little place in Texas. Now I drown myself in Shiner Bock on a weekly basis.

uhm... yeah.... HannahDH is hot. :laugh: