Medical Medical School Application & Admissions Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are TWO goals you should have while writing your AMCAS or secondary essays is this: Stand out AND fit in. You want to show the med school admissions board that you are a unique person with a distinctive background and varied interests – that's the standing out part. But you also want to show that you'll be a great fit with your target med school and that you'll be competitive and able to handle the work load and contribute to the class – that's the fit in part. Make sure you hit both these goals in your essays!

Here are some of the FREE resources we offer our medical school applicants:

Med School Sample Essays
Med 5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid, a special report
Deadline with Low MCAT or GPA

For individualized assistance, please check out our Medical School Admissions Consulting & Editing services.

Members don't see this ad.

I have just downloaded the med school admissions maze book. It's very helpful. Thank you

coldtse888,

Thank so much for the feedback. Please encourage your friends to grab a copy too.

Best,
Linda

How could I find out which school I would fit in? I feel most missions of medical school are quite similar..or a bit vague (too board). What is your advise? and how about if I am interested in schools that is very well-rounded? (with high power research + strong primary care)

How could I find out which school I would fit in? I feel most missions of medical school are quite similar..or a bit vague (too board). What is your advise? and how about if I am interested in schools that is very well-rounded? (with high power research + strong primary care)
kingking,

You seem to be fairly well directed and that's a good place to start. You have an idea of what's important to you.

First do more research about the schools. Which schools offer rich research opportunities and send a lot of its grads into primary care residencies? Also look at each school's approach to medical education. Is it problem-based learning or lecture and lab? When do you start interacting with patients? What's important to you in medical education? Do you have geographic preferences? Big city vs small city? Large school vs small school?

Look at your qualifications: Where are you likely to be accepted? Do you have stellar stats or more average stats or "Oh-oh" stats? Do you have clinical experience and research experience? Both will be important given your interests. If you don't, acquire what you are missing. Do you have leadership experience.

Try to network with students at the schools that attract your attention. Obviously go through school web sites thoroughly. Read student blogs. If possible, visit the schools that you are most interested in.

While I know there are med school applicants who apply to an astronomical number of schools, doing so is expensive and can be quite time-consuming. You want to apply to those that meet your needs and that are likely to accept you with perhaps a couple of acceptances to spare. :)

Best,
Linda