Medical School Application Based on MCAT Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrailMixedd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should apply whenever all of your application is ready. Don't rush and apply with half-assed ECs or GPA to hit the MCAT expiration deadline: if you submit a crappy app, your MCAT will expire anyway and you'll have to go back in as a reapplicant. That said, check the MSAR -- your MCAT will expire at many schools by 2020.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Can you give us some more infromation about your app. GPA, ECs, etc. That way we can better help to determine if you're strong enough of an applicant. With a 511, you should be able to get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you give us some more infromation about your app. GPA, ECs, etc. That way we can better help to determine if you're strong enough of an applicant. With a 511, you should be able to get in.
I am a student but taking more time to do research abroad for a semester and am unsure if I should even cancel the study abroad program to apply to medical school or get a job (medical assistant or clinical research? any tips?).
Someone told me to apply right now but I'm not sure if I am ready with shadowing/little clinical experience and apps are due in 2 months which I have not started. I was planning to apply Spring 2019 but it would be 3 gap years which is ok but is a lot:
Public Health & Molecular Bio Major
Score 511
GPA: ~3.7
Science GPA: 3.65
Experience: thesis in microbio, 2 semesters of different humanities research, 1 semester study abroad research in stem cell biology, no publications
Clinical: little shadowing (>20 hours), volunteer at an adult day care center
Other: various clubs such as tutoring/study group leader (3+ years), peer advising (1+ year), public health club/committee (3+ year)
Asian male
What are my chances of getting in to schools, especially California schools, if I apply right now or later on? Do you guys recommend strengthening my clinical before I apply? Thank you so much! I have been reflecting on this so hard that I have done nothing much.

Last edited:
How much community service have you done? That is something that seems to be missing.

The shadowing is not great, but its not terrible. As long as you get a sense of what you're getting yourself into... that's all that really matter despite how many hours you've shadowed. This will be reflected in your personal statement and secondary in some cases.

GPA, MCAT are fine.

Being an Asian American from California... get in line. Are you an underrepresented Asian American? That would help slightly. Apply broadly in California and outside of it. A lot of people prefer to stay in California but its not always an option for some applicants. I hope you do get into an California school but keep your options open.

How much community service have you done? That is something that seems to be missing.

The shadowing is not great, but its not terrible. As long as you get a sense of what you're getting yourself into... that's all that really matter despite how many hours you've shadowed. This will be reflected in your personal statement and secondary in some cases.

GPA, MCAT are fine.

Being an Asian American from California... get in line. Are you an underrepresented Asian American? That would help slightly. Apply broadly in California and outside of it. A lot of people prefer to stay in California but its not always an option for some applicants. I hope you do get into an California school but keep your options open.
I have volunteered at an day care center for the elderly but that is about it. I am not sure if it is considered clinical as I serve them food and socialize with them. And thanks for the honesty; I might just apply later on after I volunteer more.

I have volunteered at an day care center for the elderly but that is about it. I am not sure if it is considered clinical as I serve them food and socialize with them. And thanks for the honesty; I might just apply later on after I volunteer more.

I think you can get into a school if you apply this cycle... it might not be Stanford or UCLA if that's what you're aiming for... Patience is key but if you can get in now and save a year... that might be worth it. Take it from someone who has wasted a lot of time... you can't get it back but you can make plenty of money. I'm hoping other people chime in so you get different opinions!

Your application is just lacking some more clinical experience. You can add some hours in Mar. and April then apply for this cycle.
Applications are not due in two months, the cycle opens in June.
As PhilzCoffeeAddict said "you can get into a school if you apply this cycle".

Reactions: 1 user