Medical School Application Essay...Plagiarism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entdreams47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A close friend of mine has a blog that I read all the time...I am interested in using some of her content in my application essay (with her permission, of course) But since she is not famous or anything, how would I go about attributing this work to her in my essay?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why would you want to incorporate her content? Your personal statement should be about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where's the one PS sample with the putting a baby down on the pile and asking for a beer but since they're not 21 it's a Coke or something?

In all seriousness, if you like what she wrote, copy her presentation of her story. That's what I did for my PS: I got a sample from a friend, liked the layout/progression, so I used that. But every experience I wrote about was my own (obviously, or I wouldn't have gotten accepted.)

Reactions: 1 user
Where's the one PS sample with the putting a baby down on the pile and asking for a beer but since they're not 21 it's a Coke or something?

In all seriousness, if you like what she wrote, copy her presentation of her story. That's what I did for my PS: I got a sample from a friend, liked the layout/progression, so I used that. But every experience I wrote about was my own (obviously, or I wouldn't have gotten accepted.)

This is not about an experience - its a pretty general topic. Is the personal statement limited to just writing about experiences? In my college and grad school apps, for instance, I got accepted to a lot of places with PS's not confined to a specific experience or moment in time.

I'm well aware of the definition of plagiarism thats why I'm trying to avoid it and quote her or something
If you knew the definition, then you'd have had the answer to your question before you asked it. If you take her original ideas and present them as your own, then yes, you're plagiarizing.

On the other hand, if for instance you found a concept in her PS that struck a chord with you and you want to emphasize that feature within yourself, then all you did was get an idea from a place and there's no need to cite it worry about it since it's not an original idea or experience.

Reactions: 1 users
If you knew the definition, then you'd have had the answer to your question before you asked it. If you take her original ideas and present them as your own, then yes, you're plagiarizing.

On the other hand, if for instance you found a concept in her PS that struck a chord with you and you want to emphasize that feature within yourself, then all you did was get an idea from a place and there's no need to cite it worry about it since it's not an original idea or experience.

OP said that they would quote it. I don't think OP is thinking of taking this person's words and passing them off as her own. "How would I go about attributing this work to her in my essay?" = not trying to plagiarize.

Agreed with the other notion in the thread that the PS should be original and should not rely on quotes or ideas from others. Even people who put quotes from famous people in their PS is a little cringey sometimes. Just write your own stuff.

Reactions: 4 users
I believe many schools use TurnItIn and this tool is excellent for spotting plagiarism. That's why I would risk. But if you believe her content is good and you do want to use some of it, you can write something like this 'my friend thinks/believes/says etc ......' but paraphrase it. I don't think it will be consider plagiarism since you credited this friend of yours and since it is paraphrased there is a 90% chance plagiarism check won't find it. But still I wouldn't recommend to base your paper solely on her content. Just use a sentence or two that would convey the thoughts and ideas of your friend. And you should always think carefully how you should use this limited space. One of my friends wrote over a thousand words and didn't even know what tp cross out. He actually used writing services. You can read about acewriters but I'm not sure where this will get him or any other student. Anyways, I wish you good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @Scarleen. You can write something like this:

A friend of my mine has said, "once you wake up that fire inside of you, it’s nearly impossible to put out." That's the fire that was ignited in me the first time I ...

Reactions: 1 users
Just speaking about my personal feelings, if I read a PS that started "X once said, '...'" or had "my friend once said, '...'" somewhere in it, I would think "Are we in middle school?" and that would make me super critical of the rest of your essay.

Taking a quote, breaking it apart, analyzing it, and building your essay around the quote could be good if you are a strong writer. But quoting something that isn't integral to the essay (or dialogue) risks sounding a little juvenile (in my opinion).

Just try to capture the idea of what your friend said and express it in your own way.

I believe many schools use TurnItIn and this tool is excellent for spotting plagiarism. That's why I would risk. But if you believe her content is good and you do want to use some of it, you can write something like this 'my friend thinks/believes/says etc ......' but paraphrase it. I don't think it will be consider plagiarism since you credited this friend of yours and since it is paraphrased there is a 90% chance plagiarism check won't find it. But still I wouldn't recommend to base your paper solely on her content. Just use a sentence or two that would convey the thoughts and ideas of your friend. And you should always think carefully how you should use this limited space. One of my friends wrote over a thousand words and didn't even know what tp cross out. He actually used writing services. You can read about acewriters but I'm not sure where this will get him or any other student. Anyways, I wish you good luck.

As a former ghostwriter and a current writing consultant for college and premed and occasionally residency candidates (where it really doesn't even matter), I would like to say that TurnItIn is a pain in the ass -- literally, anything that has ever been posted online will be checked against the document you turn in. It's a robot, so even if you are referencing the material you once wrote yourself, it'll turn up as "plagiarism." Nevertheless, I would say that the use of a professional editor /consultant that will help you come up with original/unique content is useful for some people if they are really struggling.

As for personal statement content, I would argue (from the mere position of self-declared "expert" with a lot of self-declared "writing experience") that many students mistakenly believe that the personal statement is equivalent to autobiography or CV. I think the personal statement has a unique role of expressing a viewpoint, philosophy, or insight about your motivations/beliefs/reasons for choosing medicine. This intangible cannot be clearly expressed anywhere else -- too many interruptions in an interview, not enough space on a CV. While experiences can highlight, accentuate, emphasize the aforementioned reasons, I don't think activities should be the focus of your statement. Seriously, I think I've heard every way that an ED doctor is inspiring by now.

So, to the OP who asked if you could write generally? Sure, but it might be more illustrative to give an example or two. That said, an example without a clear general point, is... well... pointless.

Now if someone else's thoughts -- verbatim --- are really representative of your motivations then by all means, quote and credit. However, it's kind of weak...that you can't come up with something yourself or paraphrase that idea (especially since there are only so many themes that arise and everyone ends up writing the same drivel anyway). If you plan on referencing someone else's experiences then that's super weak, since isn't part of your job acquire such experiences as a premed? Can't really say much more without knowing the specifics of this content.

A close friend of mine has a blog that I read all the time...I am interested in using some of her content in my application essay (with her permission, of course) But since she is not famous or anything, how would I go about attributing this work to her in my essay? Would schools pick this up as plagiarism? I'm just not sure how to incorporate her words into my essay while erring on the safe side... Thanks!
I think you can talk about this with your friend. He or she can help you white a good essay with original content with out plagiarism.