• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Medical school application numbers COVID-19

mdthree

Jul 2, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Will there be higher numbers of MD applicants in the cycle for applicants entering med school in Fall 2022? I'm wondering if there will be more people taking gap years due to COVID who defer to the next cycle, thereby making it more competitive than other cycles.

Also, will med schools be more lenient about GPA given the pandemic? My school made P/F mandatory, so the GPA boost I was expecting could not happen.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Will there be higher numbers of MD applicants in the cycle for applicants entering med school in Fall 2022? I'm wondering if there will be more people taking gap years due to COVID who defer to the next cycle, thereby making it more competitive than other cycles.

Also, will med schools be more lenient about GPA given the pandemic? My school made P/F mandatory, so the GPA boost I was expecting could not happen.
So far AMCAS has the highest opening week for numbers of applications started. The "assumed" gap years due to COVID does not appear so far to be the case

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
desert highway
mdthree said:

I don't see any leniency pertaining to GPA this year, or in any year in the future (not trying to be harsh, but that's just the way it is. Average GPA/MCAT of matriculants has been steadily rising for YEARS, and will only continue to rise. Straight facts).

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
It seems the normal growth pattern in application numbers that AMCAS has been on for years
We'll have to wait to see if initiations turn into finalized applications to know for sure!
So far it does appear to follow that pattern:

Total Submissions (as of 7/2)29,747 (this year)27,225 (last Year)

Last edited:

jfijiefjieji

Jun 4, 2019
We'll have to wait to see if initiations turn into finalized applications to know for sure!
So far it does appear to follow that pattern:

Total Submissions (as of 7/2)29,747 (this year)27,225 (last Year)
I suspect that many of those submissions are without MCAT scores. I would think that a lot of them won't turn into finalized applications since many of those who submitted will receive a score that is not competitive for MD admissions and decide against continuing. Statistically, 50 percent of the people without a score will receive lower than a 500

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
I suspect that many of those submissions are without MCAT scores. I would think that a lot of them won't turn into finalized applications since many of those who submitted will receive a score that is not competitive for MD admissions and decide against continuing. Statistically, 50 percent of the people without a score will receive lower than a 500
They project that the applications with MCAT scores will catch up by August 18th.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

OfMiceAndWomen

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2019

I think this is a good point, as evident by the new WAMC posts on here today. Even if receiving poor MCAT score won't stop people from going through with application cycle, it'll fundamentally change how people will apply / what schools they apply to.

Reactions: 1 user

proudofmykids

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2019
My theory is that if anything, Covid will pull in applicants who otherwise were considering an additional gap years for which their planned activities are no longer available. Similarly, people who were planning a gap year likely squeezed in MCAT studying and a late Mcat test in August to still make this cycle with gap year options no longer viable.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.