medical school blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skippytoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to allopathic schools two years in a row and was either rejected or was put on a waiting list. I was thinking of applying again and including osteopathic medical schools. The reason that I didn't apply before (honest to GOD) was because I had never heard of it before until someone I knew recently said they had applied to an osteopathic school (Maybe I've been living a sheltered life). I've heard ( especially from some of the things I've read on this site ) that osteo schools hold it against you if you haven't applied to them before. Should I apply (I meet and exceed their minimum standards, but I still have yet to shadow a DO )

Members don't see this ad.

Apply baby...I've applied 2x (allopathic only) and the 3rd time I applied to both programs. Why didnt I apply to DO before? Well I didnt discover this page till a year ago thats why. And honestly, I think I could have gotten in the 1st 2 times if I didnt half-ass it. Good luck!

I did not apply to DO programs during my first application cycle but did the second. I was honest about why I hadn't applied previously, I knew very little about osteopathic medicine. Before completing the osteo application I read up. ALOT. I think I put together a good application and I believe I came across as well-informed during the interview process. I also left my osteopathic interview convinced that if I had to reapply a third time it would be osteopathic only- it was a great fit for me. Don't let your past deter you- D.O. it!

[This message has been edited by reed99 (edited 06-23-2000).]

GO FOR IT!

Honestly, you should try it. There is no need to even mention to them that you applied only to MD schools before (unless they ask you of course), and yes, many many people are only just starting to hear about osteopathic medicine (especially if you live in areas that are recognized as having very few DOs).

I know many DOs (including some instructors and residents at my allopathic school), and they are terrific schools.