Medical School Chances (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthyLifestyle34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So i really messed up in undergrad and got a 2.8 gpa cumulative. Science is 2.5. I decided to go to grad school (pharmacy school - applied when I still had a 3.0 gpa). Im currently about to start my third year. My first year wasnt the best but I did try enough to get a 3.35. My second year I decided I want to be a physician and studied more and got a 3.78. My overall is a 3.59 and I hope to get it over 3.62 this year. I plan on finishing my pharmD before applying just in case.

I didnt take the MCAT yet but would like to know what kind of score would be competitive for next application cycle for DO based on my stats. Preferably a school in NY. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So i really messed up in undergrad and got a 2.8 gpa cumulative. Science is 2.5. I decided to go to grad school (pharmacy school - applied when I still had a 3.0 gpa). Im currently about to start my third year. My first year wasnt the best but I did try enough to get a 3.35. My second year I decided I want to be a physician and studied more and got a 3.78. My overall is a 3.59 and I hope to get it over 3.62 this year. I plan on finishing my pharmD before applying just in case.

I didnt take the MCAT yet but would like to know what kind of score would be competitive for next application cycle for DO based on my stats. Preferably a school in NY. Thanks.
What’s your mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
He said he hasn’t taken it!

OP we really can’t help you until you have a MCAT. So when you have your MCAT come back and people will help you. You do know that your very low undergrad GPAs will be part of your application GPAs right?

Yup. I'll do my best on the MCAT while trying to do well in pharm school. I'll be back next year with updates on my MCAT score :). Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Finish pharmD, take MCAT, come back. Currently third year - which means you graduate spring 2022?

You need all the ECs. shadowing a physician, volunteering (clinical/nonclinical), diversifying hobbies, little bit of research etc. You have all the pre-req classes taken? Orgo, biochem, stats, writing courses, biology, inorganic, etc? I suggest waiting until you finish, dedicate study time to the MCAT and then apply. If it would take you a year to get all that done, you’re looking at a 2023-2034 application cycle. During that time though, you could work as a pharmacist.

Finish pharmD, take MCAT, come back. Currently third year - which means you graduate spring 2022?

You need all the ECs. shadowing a physician, volunteering (clinical/nonclinical), diversifying hobbies, little bit of research etc. You have all the pre-req classes taken? Orgo, biochem, stats, writing courses, biology, inorganic, etc? I suggest waiting until you finish, dedicate study time to the MCAT and then apply. If it would take you a year to get all that done, you’re looking at a 2023-2034 application cycle. During that time though, you could work as a pharmacist.

Im currently shadowing and Ive finished all the prereqs. Trying to get some more research too this year. Ive volunteered over the summer too and will continue to do so. As for the MCAT, Im studying for that while studying for pharm school. Lets see what hapens but thank you for the support. I appreciate it! Im aiming for as high as I can get on the MCAT but is 90% enough as a minimum based off of anyones experience that applied as nontraditional with a poor uGPA if my ECs and grad gpa are much better?

And I finish in 2022, yes.

And I finish in 2022, yes.
Can you do a rough calculation of cumulative and science GPA undergrad and grad combined? If you end up with > 3.0 GPA and an MCAT > 505, I could see some of the newer schools throwing you an interview.

Can you do a rough calculation of cumulative and science GPA undergrad and grad combined? If you end up with > 3.0 GPA and an MCAT > 505, I could see some of the newer schools throwing you an interview.

Pharmacy school doesnt count as BCPM so I dont think itd count as part of science gpa. As for overall gpa, atm my gpa would be a 3.1 with grad school since I already have 90 credits there and potentially higher as Im taking around 40 more credits this year. If my science classes from pharmacy school are counted in BCPM then Ill have a 3.01 sGPA atm.

Pharmacy school doesnt count as BCPM so I dont think itd count as part of science gpa. As for overall gpa, atm my gpa would be a 3.1 with grad school since I already have 90 credits there and potentially higher as Im taking around 40 more credits this year. If my science classes from pharmacy school are counted in BCPM then Ill have a 3.01 sGPA atm.
MD and DO have different GPA calculations.

Why don't your pharm science classes count toward BCPM? I would think there'd be a lot of overlap there. You need above a 3.2 sGPA to make it past most screens, but the higher the better. 503 is average MCAT for DO, but I'd aim for appx. 508 if your GPA doesn't hit the 3.5 mark by the time you apply. I would think pharm school classes would give you a leg up on the MCAT. It's got a fair amount of pharmacological pathway-type stuff. If you're getting research experience in school and get decent stats, apply MD too unless you are only interested in DO. Good luck!

• Love
Why don't your pharm science classes count toward BCPM? I would think there'd be a lot of overlap there. You need above a 3.2 sGPA to make it past most screens, but the higher the better. 503 is average MCAT for DO, but I'd aim for appx. 508 if your GPA doesn't hit the 3.5 mark by the time you apply. I would think pharm school classes would give you a leg up on the MCAT. It's got a fair amount of pharmacological pathway-type stuff. If you're getting research experience in school and get decent stats, apply MD too unless you are only interested in DO. Good luck!

Idk why it doesnt but pharmacy is its own separate section. Yea I think knowing pharmacy will def help with the MCAT but I cant say for sure until I take a practice test which Ill take after finishing the material. Thanks the goal is MD but DO as backup, Just gotta make this year the best year as of yet haha

congrats on being in pharm school. kill that as best as you can, take mcat, apply md/do. you will get in

• Love